FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: River fun.  (Read 6481 times)

westernmas

Re: River fun.
« Reply #30 on: Jul 10, 2018, 08:19 AM »
Ya if I palmed a fish at this stage in the game I'd just be leaving it with jewlery.  I'm not that good...heck I was happy enough just to hook a few. 

I think Lance is going to come down and pin some soon.

Ya I dont get up there enough to be able to palm a fish.  I maybe go up one or two times a year so I don't get to practice fighting a fish like that on a long rod too frequently.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #31 on: Jul 10, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Shad are a BLAST on the fly rod when they are around. Allan and i got into a bunch on the CT river a few years back on the fly rods. Good times on a 5wt lol

Thats not a bad idea at all!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #32 on: Jul 10, 2018, 01:46 PM »
2-3lb small mouth were fun on the 4-5 W as well. 3X for larger flies like woolys 5X for smaller nymphs.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #33 on: Jul 10, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Whos backwards Mike?  Me or you...coulda sworn my 3x was 3.5lb and the 5x is 5lb.  Then again I am literally dyslexic so those types of things allude me.

zwiggles

« Reply #34 on: Jul 10, 2018, 02:00 PM »
I think you’re backwards low, but I am complete newbie to the long rod so I could be mistaken. I recently ordered some tippet, and I believe 3x is stronger than 5x. I believe the 0x has the thickest diameter, and decreases in diameter as you go up to 1x,2x and so on.

westernmas

« Reply #35 on: Jul 10, 2018, 02:58 PM »
I think you’re backwards low, but I am complete newbie to the long rod so I could be mistaken. I recently ordered some tippet, and I believe 3x is stronger than 5x. I believe the 0x has the thickest diameter, and decreases in diameter as you go up to 1x,2x and so on.

zwiggles you are correct.  the higher the number for tippet the smaller the diameter the line.  0x is stronger than 7x.  I watch guys on the swift tie on size 26 flies on 7x or I've even heard of 8x being used and it takes them about 30 minutes to tie on one fly.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #36 on: Jul 10, 2018, 03:07 PM »
Whos backwards Mike?  Me or you...coulda sworn my 3x was 3.5lb and the 5x is 5lb.  Then again I am literally dyslexic so those types of things allude me.

Zwiggles and westernmas got it right Jon. The higher the number the thinner the line and vise versa. Kinda like shot in a shotgun shell. The higher the number the smaller the pellets.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #37 on: Jul 10, 2018, 05:05 PM »
Hahah figures.  You guys can imagine how long I lasted as a bank teller....not long.

On another note:

Must be a RIO thing...the 3x was lighter.

boondox

« Reply #38 on: Jul 10, 2018, 06:26 PM »
I surprized you dont just buy a quality flurocarbon line like Seagur or red label or similar.  All that your buying on that spool is regular non tapered flurocarbon you get 200 yards versus 30 meters if you got friends that fish same area fill their spools  for like $3 to $5 bucks..better then paying $11 to $15 what ever it says on that green tag you got on your spool.. tapered lasers are different then reg flat non tapered line? Just a tip.. only problem is it don't come in 5 lb test in the bulk spools all they sell is 4 or 6 lb tests.. that is why a lot of guys don't buy the leader wheels except to refill them..

lowaccord66

« Reply #39 on: Jul 10, 2018, 07:08 PM »
Supporting a local shop boondox.  Cost is not a consideration and the performance has been outstanding.  4 so far this evening.  I was doing what you mention 20 years ago when I first got into flyfishing.  Only difference was back then it was stren.   ;D

Also I have the 4,6 and 8 invisix.  Thats what I use for freshwater leader on my trolling and spinning stuff.  I sure hope those marketing guys at seaguar don't have you tricked!  Only leader material I buy from them is 50 and 60 for stripers and pike.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #40 on: Jul 10, 2018, 08:28 PM »
im using 55lb berkley big game instead of seagur for bass and blues this year in the canal and im having exactly the same luck at 1/5 the cost. there was a study done and heavy mono is just as abrassive resistant as heavy fluro. there is a difference between the 2 in lighter lines though but anything above 40 seems the same.

lowaccord66

« Reply #41 on: Jul 11, 2018, 05:34 AM »
I did that one year but I used Ande instead of big game.  Results were fine. 

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #42 on: Jul 11, 2018, 06:34 AM »
For some reason I fray up my fluro quick while jigging. I hate having to cut it back because it's so expensive. The mono is a lot easier on the wallet and it has better knot strength.

westernmas

« Reply #43 on: Jul 11, 2018, 08:06 AM »
I did that one year but I used Ande instead of big game.  Results were fine.

I know several guys who target large pike through the ice and they use 100+lb mono.  At that point I don't know why they don't use steel but after seeing the results I don't question their methods.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

« Reply #44 on: Jul 11, 2018, 09:24 AM »
I know several guys who target large pike through the ice and they use 100+lb mono.  At that point I don't know why they don't use steel but after seeing the results I don't question their methods.

Its a big to each is own subject.  Gord phyzer used 20lb floro quick strike rigs and has more large pike than anyone...up over the 40lb mark.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.