FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A Scorcher  (Read 786 times)

bogtrotter

A Scorcher
« on: Aug 06, 2022, 01:16 PM »
Today was just too hot to don the chest waders, so I decided to go wet wading (swim trunks, t-shirt and Krocs) instead.

First up was the Main Branch of the Hoosic in Williamstown and North Adams, from 10:45 AM (when it was about 85 degrees) to 11:30 AM.

I started behind the Spruces Park (where I noticed on my way in that the pond toward the front was largely dried up, and a fisherman stood on a mud-baked peninsula that stretched into the middle of the pond and casting toward the "deep" end, which was only about a foot deep), then tried Ashton Avenue bridge and finally below the Central Radio stilling basin. 

The only action that I had at any of them was a crayfish that I reeled in by the Ashton Avenue bridge.

Next, it was on to the North Branch of the Hoosic in North Adams, from 11:45 AM to 1:30 PM (by which time it had hit 90 degrees).

There, despite the water being awfully low, I did a bit better - - catching a 10" rainbow behind the Beaver Mill parking lot and then landing two 12" and one 13" rainbow further downstream by standing on the roll dam and casting across the waterfall.

However, while making my way back downstream from the roll dam, I was stung in the back of the neck by one (luckily just one) of the denizens of a paper wasp next hanging from a tree nearby.  Man, did that smart!

Proceeding downstream, I waded past Old Glory Rock and down below the Eclipse Mill dam, where I came across John C (who hangs the Stars and Stripes from the cliff at Old Glory Rock) and chatted for a while, but didn't have any more strikes.

lowaccord66

Re: A Scorcher
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2022, 10:48 AM »
Those wasps suck!

icefisher47

« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2022, 02:12 PM »
Wasp suck
Take a kid fishing

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2022, 02:24 PM »
White face and yellow jackets are the worst around here...

Johnnh

« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2022, 03:47 PM »
Got into a nest of yellow jackets last year. I was wearing shorts and a T shirt and got stung over 30 times = had to visit the doctor on that one.
If anyone out there was a lineman getting into a battle with white face hornets up on a pole 30 feet off the ground you can relate to this. One of those critters bit me in the eye socket and then i had to climb down =thats not fun.

Steve H.

« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2022, 06:17 PM »
Wasps & yellow jacket are the animals I fear most in the outdoors. By far.

(And I spend a lot of time in bear country).
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.