FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: I miss the ice  (Read 3772 times)

tucker

• central NY, heart of tax and spend
I miss the ice
« on: May 30, 2006, 02:11 PM »
Anyone else missing the ice already.  I fished for some trout in early april and haven't been out since.  And to tell the truth I am not chomping at the bit to get out there.  But if this were winter and I hadn't fished for a month I would be foaming at the mouth.  There is just something about ice fishing that gets in the blood. :flex:

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
Re: I miss the ice
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 02:12 PM »
I miss the ice too. You don't have to deal with black flies, heat, humidity, jet skiers, and summer people thinking they own the lake. :cursing:

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 02:22 PM »
I was missing the ice pretty badly a month or so ago.  Since then, I've had a few real good days on the soft water.  That seems to be the best treatment, though it's not exactly a cure.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

OTIS

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 02:31 PM »
For me, there's nothing that compares to the fall walleye run.  Since I do not have a boat, ice fishing is my only chance to hit the places that I can not reach from shore.  Once I get a boat i will definitely hit the soft water much more than I currently do.  Either way I get to fish with the kids.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

MikeThePike

• Any signs of ice yet?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Its only May and its already in the 90s here so in short.....

I MISS THE ICE!

I'd much rather deal with the snow and sleet than this heat and humidity anyday.
Chasing them pigs with fins!

AK isn't coming soon enough....can't wait to fight with 1 grizzly for 100,000 fish instead of 1,000 snaggers for 10.

archbishop

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 04:48 PM »
Its only May and its already in the 90s here so in short.....

I MISS THE ICE!

I'd much rather deal with the snow and sleet than this heat and humidity anyday.

AMEN :tipup:

fishryc

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Anyone else missing the ice already.  I fished for some trout in early april and haven't been out since.  And to tell the truth I am not chomping at the bit to get out there.  But if this were winter and I hadn't fished for a month I would be foaming at the mouth.  There is just something about ice fishing that gets in the blood. :flex:

Miss It?!! Yep, Yep, and Yep! Mostly since it was way too short, I didn't get out but a dozen times at the most, and the fact that it was an on / off season this year (in western NY, anyway). Freeze, melt; Freeze, melt, etc.
  Not to mention the fact that after a few decades of "Open Air" ice fishing, I finally broke down and bought a Shappell DX3000 with a Mr. Heater 9000 BTU unit to go with it which only saw four days of ice time!!)
 Anyway, the perch gage in the freezer is somehow on full however, but I don't have the usual quantity of excess to keep the relatives happy and in fish!.
 Anyway, time for some gills while awaiting the return of the perch in September!
S

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man; a debt he proposes to pay off with your money".

"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”

G. Gordon Liddy

dawg

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 06:36 PM »
 FISHED YESTERDAY MORNING AND CAUGHT NOTHING BUT ROCKBASS. CANNOT EVER REMEMBER CATCHING ONE OF THEM THRUOGH THE ICE :D COME ON 30 BELOW :thumbup_smilie:
Give a man a fish and he eats for the day. Teach a man to fish and he will keep bait in the fridge

vipercat64

• Speak softly and carry a big (ugly)stick...
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 07:22 PM »
Last year I caught two thru the ice...together they were maybe 8in...

Miss the ice, the cold, and comfort.  Plus I can go out and fish while she is working, and not feel guilty for being out w/o her...she loves the soft water. 
Life is what you make it...and if that doesn't work stretch the truth 'til it at least sounds good.

CarogaKid

• If the fish aren't Biting....Grab another Beer!!
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 07:25 PM »
Definitely Missing the Ice..... :'( :'( :'(

crappieslayer22

• the kayak fisherman
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 07:47 PM »
sometime i miss the ice the wost time of the year is when the ice is on the lake but its to thin to walk on but you cant get on it with a boat
Loren .W.

chowdah

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 08:10 PM »
i fished a pond that i go to often in winter, i was in my kayak trying to reach my crappie spot but the wind was too strong and the fishing was frustrating, and i was getting cold!!! and i thought to myself, man this would be a great time ice fishing, i'd be toasty warm in ten layers and would be exactly where i wanted to be and the wind wouldn't bother at all. but I don't wish it back too soon the striper bite is about to begin!!

esox slayer

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 08:23 PM »
Do I miss the ice??  Not me, no way......Now pardon me while I go punch some holes in the walls and kick a couple cats....Esox
Team NY!!Setting the standard for which all others are thrashed!! 
                                                                                Former Marine-Semper Fi!!!

pirkaus

• Have you ever been too drunk to fish?
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 05:44 AM »
I miss it :'(   Soft water is OK but ICE is better.
The idea of indoor ice fishing, like was talked about on IS, is starting to appeal to me now
If the rule is 5 fish or 5 pounds, what if the 5th fish weighs 5 pounds?

devil-man

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 06:24 AM »
Do I miss the ice??  Not me, no way......Now pardon me while I go punch some holes in the walls and kick a couple cats....Esox

LMAO!  :rotflol:

Do I miss it? Yes
BUT- I also miss the open water when everything is frozen.
Maybe I'm schizophrenic, but I believe I just enjoy fishing any time, any place, any way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.