FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: outboard question 2  (Read 930 times)

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
outboard question 2
« on: May 31, 2006, 03:04 PM »
My merc 6 horse leaks what I think is oil.  Its a 2 stroke.  The leak is coming from the seal around the prop.  Its a very slow leak and the lower unit grease is never low. 

Has anyone heard of a motor dripping oil like this?  Or could this be lower unit grease and its just a very slow leak?
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

woodsman

Re: outboard question 2
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 04:49 PM »
My merc 6 horse leaks what I think is oil.  Its a 2 stroke.  The leak is coming from the seal around the prop.  Its a very slow leak and the lower unit grease is never low. 

Has anyone heard of a motor dripping oil like this?  Or could this be lower unit grease and its just a very slow leak?

Any lower unit I know of uses oil not grease to lub the unit. SAE 75 is one of the common ones. Sounds like your prop seal has a slow leak. Being wraped by fishing line is a common cause.
If the leak is slow check regularly and replace the oil if it looks milky at all. Be sure to change before storage of any length of time. If the leak gets worse or is too heavy replace your prop seal.

Good Luck
Living proof \"that beer builds better bellies\".

walleyechaser

• Ghetto Fab
Re: outboard question 2
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2006, 06:34 AM »
thanks woodsman.  Yeah its the typical lower unit lube.  I'm not sure the weight off the top of my head. 
I'll have to replace the seal before too long.  I've replaced all the other seals earlier this year.  My luck that they all go bad at once.   Theres no milky color yet.  Thats what happened when the other seals went bad the lower unit got full of water.
care for a warm up?

Official authority on the Kraken

The "Habitual Offender" of the MIRC - I need a clear glass plate

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.