FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trailer Title question  (Read 1475 times)

52niner

Trailer Title question
« on: Jun 16, 2009, 01:57 PM »
This is for michigan but maybe some of you can help me ,

My father in law passed away and he had a nice Shorelandr trailer for a big jet ski. Well I have people interested in buying it but I don't have a title for it and after we looked everywhere we can't find one. Now I know the trailer was his and not stolen but how would I go about selling it? Or getting a title for it. The Secretary of State website says it needs to be original owner blah blah blah. Thanks for any help.
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

dachmation

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Trailer Title question
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2009, 02:05 PM »
Well if your father in law was married, his spouse will most likely be the Heir. When my neighbor dies, I bought his truck and and travel trailer from his wife. All she needed to transfer it was a certified Death certificate. 
""TIGHT LINES"

52niner

« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2009, 02:33 PM »
He wasnt married
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

dachmation

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2009, 02:55 PM »
All right then, who is the Heir? they should be able to do it too. We also had to replace lost title, did it all at once.
""TIGHT LINES"

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2009, 11:27 PM »
Here in MI just sell it. Give them a reciept and let them know they will need a wirght slip to register it. They can get one at any scrap metal yard.

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2009, 11:33 PM »
Forgot to say, twice I went toregister a trailer and both times they just took the weight of the title and nothing else. Went to a assembled trailer plate. :-\ Now I have two plates for trailers for the rest of my life.

FISHFORPIKE

• Phil
« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2009, 06:20 AM »
Here in MI just sell it. Give them a reciept and let them know they will need a wirght slip to register it. They can get one at any scrap metal yard.

One can do the same in NY - just get a weight slip from some place like a scrap yard or quarry and go register as "homemade" ;)
Member - Black Lake Hooks & Bullets Crowd

khaaxma

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2009, 09:54 AM »
Although I'm not an expert in this matter, I would probably take a copy of the death certificate and the old plate registration to Sec. of State's office and then as them how best to procede. Most of the Sec. of State's office are very helpful if you approach them respectfully.
I am blessed to live in a location where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.