FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Just an idea I've pondered  (Read 2011 times)

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
Just an idea I've pondered
« on: May 12, 2005, 03:16 AM »
Hey everyone,

I've been thing about an idea I've had for awhile now and trying to see if it would be practical to pursue or best to let it be.  With all the kid's out there that are experiencing growing up in a "single parent" house if there isn't some kind of program that could be set up to get these kids out on a lake or stream.  I wanted to join the Big Brother, Big Sister program but unfortunately with my schedule it really wouldn't work out that well.  I would hate to have plans set up and then at the last minute get sent out of town on a flight.  It don't always happen but does enough to the point that the kid would be dissappointed more than once and I would rather not subject them to it.  There has to be enough single parents out there that would like to take their kids fishing but don't have the resources (boat, tackle, time, or maybe experience) to give them a good outing, to make this a good thing.  I've talked to a couple of the "counselors" with Big Brothers/Sister about this but it doesn't fit into what their program tries to achieve.

My question to all is:

1)  Do you think this is a good idea?

2)  If it is a good idea, how many fellow MFF'er would be willing to sign up to do this?

3)  Or is the liability for this too much?

How many of the MFF members, single or childless, have signed up for the Big Brother/Sister program?

Just wondering about this and appreciate your input.  Thanks,

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

eyedoktr

Re: Just an idea I've pondered
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 05:56 AM »
Steve, a few years ago, a bunch of us worked together with a local rod and gun club and created a Kid's Fishing Day. We contacted Zebco and they donated a few rods and reels and provided us the opportunity to purchase more at $5 each. We gave the kids a short seminar at the club on fish ID, knots  and a quick casting lesson. We then took them all on Honeoye Lake. I was shocked at how few parents got involved even with their own kids. I think we became babysitters for the day in alot of cases. As I have no kids of my own to enjoy, I had a great time that day. Something like this would probably work again and I would be willing to help out if needed.
Pete Lewis

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 06:06 AM »
Thanks for the info Doc,

I wasn't really talking about a derby, even though that is a great Idea.  I was thinking about the kid that doesn't have anyone to take him out a few Saturdays fishing.  Kind of a 1 on 1 fishing buddy.  There is probably 100 kids that would love the chance to go fishing within a 15 mile radius of each and every one of us.  Just a little effort on our part.  It would add true meaning the the phrase...."Take a Kid fishing"

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

bussman

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 06:14 AM »
Does the Big Brother Big Sister program organize trips for groups of kids and there sponsors? Maybe if you can't sponsor a single kid you could do a few outings a year and help the Big Brothers and Sisters with there kids? Just a  thought.

Bussman

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 06:23 AM »
Bussman, that is a very good suggestion.  I'll look into that more, But unfortunately that would require a firm commitment from numerous people but would really be worth a try.

Thanks for the idea!!
Steve

bussman

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 07:12 AM »
Let me know if you need help. It may be a long drive but maybe I could give you a hand. Being a shift worker makes my schedule crazy too but if you started a thread in NY I bet you would be able to get a group of guys in our situation that would love to help. This way if some of us got called way we could still be sure the event would go on for the kids. I like this idea!!

devil-man

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 07:48 AM »
I could help out. I don't know about taking kids out in my boat, but I would make a good mentor.
I don't have any children either, but I love getting my nieces out there fishing.
The oldest will make a trip or two out in the boat this year.

This is a novel idea, Steve, and like you said, there are hundreds of kids that would love to go fishing in each of our communities.
Let me know if you plan something. Gas isn't cheap, but it would be worth it.  ;D

If we don't teach the next generation about hunting and fishing who will?

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 08:19 AM »
Steve,

Have you checked with your local Boys and Girls Club chapter or Boy Scouts?  I think some of them do stuff similar to this but it's more like eyedoktr said, a derby or single day out.  I think if it was an organized event you would be better off not going in a boat.  I think that's where the liability issues would come in.  If it was one-on-one type of thing you probably won't have to worry about it. 

You might be better off trying to work with these organizations to arrange a monthly "derby" at a local park and have some kind of sign-up for people to connect for additional one-on-one trips.  This way it's not as formal and structured as the Big Brother Big Sister program.  Then if you were going out fishing you could call your new partner and see if they are available to go with you like a regular fishing buddy.  The organizations that you could partner with must have some kind of screening process before they accept volunteer so the wackos could be weeded out before the derby days.

When I was just out of college I was a volunteer at my local church CYO (Christian Youth Organization) and we tried a couple of times to arrange fishing outings.  The problem was always lack of equipment and what we could get donated was usually complete junk or completely wrong for what we were trying to catch and I only had so much gear to go around.  Seems stores used us to dump product they couldn't sell like ocean fishing gear in WNY.  THis was quite a while ago though (before Walmart  ;)) so hopefully things are different.  If you need volunteers I would be this site would generate quite a few. 
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 08:59 AM »
I think its a neat idea.   
   If you need gear and stuff to do this sort of thing, try writting the big lures and tackle companies and explain what you are trying to do.   And if you get the kid or kids out make sure to send pictures back to the companies, to show that you really did do what you said you were going to do.     
     My father used to run a fishing derby and we are a fairly small town, but there was a constant show up at about 250 kids, and each got a "goodie bag", most of which was full of donated items, that were fairly relevent to the trout derby (hooks and  bobbers}.     
      I think taking a kid fishing is a good idea, th problem would be reaching out and putting your name out there, and getting people to trust you.    I think if you got together enough guys it'd work.      If I was sure I was going to be staying in one place I'd help out for sure, its a blast getting kids out fishing.
     Good luck.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

toguetaker

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 09:14 AM »
I have coached Little League for many years now and the first thing that I tell all the people that help me is to NEVER be alone with a child. Now I know this seems mean but do not ever put yourself into a position where you are alone with a child that is not yours. PERIOD. I can not stress this point enough. The idea is a great one and I applaud you for trying to do something for a child that normally would not have the opportunity. I have found that such things do tend to turn out into a free baby sitting service. With that said I have taken many single parent children fishing with me on my boat, this has always been done with one or both of my boys with me or another adult. The kids always have a great time and many have asked to go again. I usually target a species that I know will cooperate such as perch,bass,or even pickerel.

eyedoktr

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 09:32 AM »
Steve, we didn't have a derby, it was just to take the kids fishing after a little education.

toguetaker, I agree 100%. I coached t-ball for two years and tried to avoid any 1 on 1 situations. Even then, there was one parent (local minister) who didn't like me because his daughter thought I was a great guy and would try to sit on my lap whenever we were on the bench.Needless to say, I never sat down. Funny thing was, alot of parents would come to the games and ask "which one is your kid?" When I replied none of them, they then asked why I was coaching. My stock reply was " because you don't care enough to"
Pete Lewis

toguetaker

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 10:02 AM »
 Not to get away from the thread but it is a sad day when we as parents/volunteers have to worry about things like that.

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 07:01 PM »
Not to get away from the thread but it is a sad day when we as parents/volunteers have to worry about things like that.

Very true but the point that I was making or trying to bring up is there has got to be some good kids located around where we live that a little bit of searching could make a big difference in a kids life.  If your worriered about the bad things that can happen, have one of your other fishing buddies go along, just try and make an effort to get some kids out there. 

If some of us want to set up a "Fishin' clinic" that would be fine with me and would like the opportunity to meet a bunch of you and do something good for the kids.

Have to get back to work.  Keep the inputs coming

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.