FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wire leader?  (Read 19447 times)

anthonyebola

Re: Wire leader?
« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2007, 11:42 PM »
I would say if you're using a spinnerbait don't use a leader, you will catch more fish and I have NEVER had a pike bite one off. I would say if you plan on using a jig, live bait, or smaller lures definately use a leader!

I had a 30+ incher bite a large spinnerbait off today, and have had smaller pike do it to me in the past....

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #16 on: Jul 27, 2007, 05:46 AM »
I must be the luckiest pike fisherman out there. I haven't used steel or wire leaders in probably over 15 years and I trying to think of one case where a big pike ripped through 30lb mono. I can't come up with one. I have caught fish in the mid teens to mid 20lb range. Go with what works for ya.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2007, 01:58 PM »
Wouldn't steel or titanium be thinner and more supple than 30# plastic line?

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #18 on: Jul 27, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Yes
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

Neptune

« Reply #19 on: Jul 27, 2007, 11:06 PM »

It is amazing how small of diameter a titanium leader is that is rated to 40#s...it looks and feels like a piece of dental floss, not the flat kind...

you get the picture....

Good Fishing!

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #20 on: Jul 28, 2007, 10:36 AM »
I have never laid eyes on this titanium stuff. I'll give it a shot if I see it.

I'll take 30lb mono over a steel leader anyday.
I don't feel steel is more supple than mono, the advantage would be it's breaking point but it is definately not as flexible.
I use the 30lb mono because for the most part the fish are 10-15lbs where I target them. I'll get the occasinal 17,18 lber a couple times a year and the mono has no problem handling them.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

MasterAngler

« Reply #21 on: Aug 01, 2007, 09:11 AM »
You must be the luckiest fisherman MickeyFinn.  I tried 44 lb flourocarbon as a leader for walleye fishing due to the abundance of small pike I catch as well, since I don't like getting bite off, loosing my jigs, and retying about every second fish.  I usually just use a cheap light steel leader, but thought some decent size flouro might get me more hook ups, not that the steel was preventing me from catching fish, I was just hoping for more.  The first fish I hooked however was a snot rocket that cleanly bit right through it.  I would guess I would have to use at least 80-100 lb flourocarbon as a leader.  Also a steel or titanium leader, will not result in less fish compared to a clear leader such as flourocarbon, when using a moving lure such as a spoon, or spinnerbait, etc, when pike fishing.  Only deadbaiting or very slow presentations may warrant the use of a clear leader resulting in increased hits.
Seven days without fishing, makes one weak.

meadowpikeman

« Reply #22 on: Aug 05, 2007, 12:12 AM »
i have yet to see evidence of pike being shy because of a leader, even in winter with 50 lb black line and a 80 lb leader we have no problem catching many large pike, something tells me even 80 lb floro. is not as tough as 80 lb titanium wire.
"Fame doesn't take away the pain, it just pays the bills. You end up on alcohol and Pills"-Fred Eaglesmith

akdg

« Reply #23 on: Aug 05, 2007, 12:59 AM »
i have yet to see evidence of pike being shy because of a leader, even in winter with 50 lb black line and a 80 lb leader we have no problem catching many large pike, something tells me even 80 lb floro. is not as tough as 80 lb titanium wire.

Yup! There is no way they bite through titanium that  I have seen.  But mono or floro is just a crap shoot.   

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 05, 2007, 10:00 AM »
Floro seems to retain the Exact shape of the spool it was stored on in cold weather. Tangle city dude!

fishinguy165

« Reply #25 on: Jul 09, 2009, 09:01 PM »
I'm gonna start using leaders when fishing in pike waters. Last summer i had a big pike completely inhale my favorite spinnerbait and was gone before i could set the hook. That sure taught me.

jerkbait

« Reply #26 on: Apr 10, 2011, 06:20 PM »
i use a invisa leader its a ultra thin wire leader works great

pocketperch

« Reply #27 on: Apr 18, 2011, 06:30 PM »
The lake I fish has a lot of bass and pike so I use a fluro leader on my spinnerbaits and in 3 years have not lost one yet!

anglerbrian

« Reply #28 on: Jun 03, 2011, 03:44 PM »
A Fluoro leader is good but the pike will nick it and you must tie a new one on often.  The titanium leaders look  nice and thin might have to try one.

Dabluz

« Reply #29 on: Mar 25, 2012, 12:50 PM »
Here in Quebec when fishing for walleye, I have the same problem with pike biting off my lures every now and again.  I hate using wire leaders.....especially those in 30 lb size with a swivel at one end and a big snap on the other end.

A few years ago, a guy from France sent me some finesse leader material in 6 to 12 lb size.  It is braided steel wire (49 to 54 strands).  The stuff is so flexible that I can tie knots in it.  It works great but if I get hooked on bottom or catch a decent pike, the wire gets all curly cued and is worthless.

Just the other day I came across this site that sells titanium leader material.  Wow....the 25 lb test titanium is the same size as good 8 lb test mono (0.010").  It is flexible enough to tie knots in it and will not kink.  It even has a bit of elasticity.  Here is the link.   http://www.aquateko.com/Knot_2_Kinky_Titanium_Fishing_Leader_Wire_s/1.htm

There are videos on the site.

They also sell invisible swivels.....made of fluorocarbon and they are a lot smaller than I thought they would be.

I contacted the company and asked if they plan to sell smaller diameter titanium and the response was yes. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.