FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anybody else fish for planted triploid trout?  (Read 1631 times)

taxid

Anybody else fish for planted triploid trout?
« on: Aug 21, 2017, 09:39 PM »
If so do you find eggs in them? Always thought they are supposed to be sterile and hence no eggs. Or is it they have eggs but they are not viable?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: Anybody else fish for planted triploid trout?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2017, 10:56 PM »
Well found out they do not have eggs.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2017, 04:12 PM »
Ive never heard of them.  Seems like I may not be the only one!

filetandrelease

« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2017, 04:21 PM »
Ok going to ask a question are we talking sea fellon (spelling) which are also barren

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Aug 24, 2017, 04:59 PM »
He is talking about triploids like the world record rainbow the Konrad twins caught a few years back. My understanding is they only put energy into growth, and none into spawning.

CA and AK have some state run programs for stocking triploid bows since they can't reproduce, and therefore cannot augment other species by interbreeding with them.

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24, 2017, 05:02 PM »
Thanks , Dom they stocked sterile browns in Lake Ontario many years ago

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2017, 05:10 PM »

Article I just read said those fish escaped from a fish farm , those are true monsters

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2017, 05:59 PM »
The reason I asked the question was fishhogger is catching rainbows on Oliver Lake in Lagrange County Indiana with eggs in them. I was told the fish planted were triploids, so was somewhat puzzled they had eggs. A biologist I conferred with thought they were triploids too. Long story short all the rainbows planted in Oliver over the last decade or more -- since the state purchases eggs from an egg supplier i Washington state called Trout Lodge --have been diploids (normal amount of chromosomes.) So eggs with the females is a given.

So that solves the mystery.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.