FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: World record brookie  (Read 2653 times)

vivlamored

• Gotta Love the Adirondacks
World record brookie
« on: Aug 05, 2007, 08:48 PM »
http://www.brooktrout.ca/manitoba-record-brook-trout.htm
 What I would do to cautch a brookie like this
Don't use your sick days when you are sick use them when the fish are biting. It all looks the same on your time card

taxid

Re: World record brookie
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2007, 09:11 PM »
http://www.brooktrout.ca/manitoba-record-brook-trout.htm
 What I would do to cautch a brookie like this

I believe this topic is already here somewhere. Or perhaps it's on Iceshanty.com Some believe it's a naturally produced Splake. Tail looks too forked to be a true brookie to me but I could be wrong. But we'll never know for sure as it was released. The partial dorsal fin looks like a fish that was originally a raceway fish to me also. Dorsal vermiculations are very weak. Fish conformation is more like a lake trout. More fusiform than a typical brook trout.

Here is an intersting splake that looked like a true brookie until further examination.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

johndeere540

« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2007, 07:36 PM »
I dont know nothing about splake but that is still a beautiful fish.

RLWagner

• Rock-Bassin-Assasin!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2007, 12:25 PM »
OMG! :o :o :)
Look...Is it a plane? train? a speeding bullet? ...No...it's a Rock Bass!http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u61/RLWagner/th_5d7a43d1.jpg[/img][/URL]

joejv4

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2007, 11:17 AM »
I'm thinking splake too - that fork in the tail is too deep to be a brookie.

Good looking fish, though.  Gotta love those brookie/splake colors - hard to beat.
Gone fishin'

toguetaker

« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2007, 11:11 AM »
 The "fork" in the tail looks like it is because of the tail not being spread out flat. Just the weight of the tail would make it slouch and not square. Big fish tend to droop like this one is.  A clear shot with out the tail being pinched is not there. The look of the color and overall shape I would bet on Brookie. Either way it is one heck of a fish. A scale sample would have been a good way to prove it a Brookie and it wouldn't have harmed the fish.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2007, 12:52 PM »
The "fork" in the tail looks like it is because of the tail not being spread out flat. Just the weight of the tail would make it slouch and not square. Big fish tend to droop like this one is.  A clear shot with out the tail being pinched is not there. The look of the color and overall shape I would bet on Brookie. Either way it is one heck of a fish. A scale sample would have been a good way to prove it a Brookie and it wouldn't have harmed the fish.

Really?  ???  I've never been told that the scales are different on a splake vs. a brookie. Seems they could go both ways similar to either parent fish. I don't doubt you just never heard that before.

I'm not saying it isn't a brook trout but we will never know. I just hope it didn't fight so hard that it didn't go to the bottom and end up wasted. From my experience raising trout I would never ever practice catch and release with them in the pond. A fair number although they swim off fight so hard they will die up to three days later. And not all of them end up floating.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.