FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: it's gettin quiet over here  (Read 9446 times)

Roccus

Re: it's gettin quiet over here
« Reply #30 on: Nov 09, 2017, 08:05 AM »
I'm still learning something every day. My little wood shop is my "Brain Trust". The past couple days I made a chuck for finishing the bottoms of bowls.

I guess I'm saying we need to exercise our brains as much as our bodies.

Rg

Nice ..what are you using for a dust collector?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #31 on: Nov 09, 2017, 04:42 PM »
My Son is assistant superintendent at a local country club. He likes to turn some stuff too. They've been taking out trees on the course for the past 2 years. I have a small stash of limbs but no burls.

I've never tried to turn one, but it looks like fun. Bowls seem to be a graduate project for wood turners.
Here's a mortar and pestle I just completed for a friend.

Maple mortar with an alder base and ash pestle with a redheart Celtic Knot.

Run stuff.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #32 on: Nov 09, 2017, 05:36 PM »
That's some beautiful work. What a lucky friend!   ;D

There was a good sized, busy machine shop near me. One day 15 yrs or so ago the owner made a wooden bowl. He enjoyed it so much that he custom built a lathe that will chuck a 24" block of tree trunk, shut down the machine shop, now makes bowls every day, and is happy! He let me watch him one day; beast of a machine, and he says every chunk is different. Truly an art.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #33 on: Nov 09, 2017, 05:51 PM »
Hope she likes it as much as you do ;)

It's mesmerizing working a block of wood. I've been doing woodworking of one sort or another for near 40 years. I get lost in the shop.

A good kind of lost.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Spider1

« Reply #34 on: Nov 10, 2017, 05:29 AM »
this thread kinda went sideways... but it's a good kinda side ways, lol! I wish I could see your pic's but my firewall won't let me. I've been working wood as long as I can remember. A few years ago I was making osage and hickory longbows and arrow shafts of douglas fir. That was a lot of fun but it turned into a second job and the fun ran out of it. I have a half finished bow in the rafters and a set of yew billets waiting for someone a bit more patient than myself. Never turned anything though, well, except for a few bass poppers ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #35 on: Nov 10, 2017, 05:56 AM »
Just trying to make some conversation I guess. Heck, it's 22*, snow on the ground and very windy. Not much warm water fishing to talk about.

Popped in to the Shanty a few times. They still can't decide which drill, auger, sonar, bibs, boots or Shanty is best :-\

Nice to know there's other woodworkers out there.
Rg

Roccus

« Reply #36 on: Nov 10, 2017, 06:40 AM »
Just trying to make some conversation I guess. Heck, it's 22*, snow on the ground and very windy. Not much warm water fishing to talk about.

Popped in to the Shanty a few times. They still can't decide which drill, auger, sonar, bibs, boots or Shanty is best :-\

Nice to know there's other woodworkers out there.
Rg
Nothing wrong with sideways..it's a sideways time of year... I turn as well...have for 40+ years... mostly striper plugs.. but I make deer,turkey and duck calls... base ball bats ( a few times).. bowls...pens and other trinkets I give away for Christmas gifts...

my shop is mostly set up for plug making.... One ( of 3) lathe is set up just for drilling..... the whole shop is supported on a 1500CFM Penn state industries cyclone dust collector...I run every thing except one small table top band saw on 220 volt...

Spider1

« Reply #37 on: Nov 10, 2017, 08:08 AM »
yup. sideways is good ;)  I've been known to take a conversation off course just cuz that's the direction conversations go sometimes, lol!

I pass over a lot of threads on the shanty this time of year. All the newb's asking the same questions the newb's from last year asked... and they asked the same questions the newb's from the year before asked. I guess it gives some guys something to argue about, LMAO!!! My favorite is "what drill should I use?" That one is good for 50-100 posts at least, LOL!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #38 on: Nov 10, 2017, 08:13 AM »
Nice!
My son is bringing us a load of limbs today. Apple, maple and ash. My shop is a hobby shop. Dust is controlled and just one lathe, band Saw, table saw, router table, drill press. No room for too much more. My next door neighbor works in a cabinet shop so if I need anything bigger he takes care of it for me. Keeps me supplied with plenty of scrap too.

Rg

Spider1

« Reply #39 on: Nov 10, 2017, 09:04 AM »
I just put in a new central heat and air system in my house a few weeks ago. The furnace landed right in the middle of my shop. :'(

Gotta move my wifes stuff to that side and move my shop over to the clear side... so I can "fix" stuff ;)

Roccus

« Reply #40 on: Nov 10, 2017, 11:39 AM »
yup. sideways is good ;)  I've been known to take a conversation off course just cuz that's the direction conversations go sometimes, lol!

I pass over a lot of threads on the shanty this time of year. All the newb's asking the same questions the newb's from last year asked... and they asked the same questions the newb's from the year before asked. I guess it gives some guys something to argue about, LMAO!!! My favorite is "what drill should I use?" That one is good for 50-100 posts at least, LOL!

a thread like this just begs to be taken sideways...it's just remedying A "COMPLAINT" SO  SOME OF US ARE DOING SOMETHIONG ABOUT IT....( oops didn't mean caps_)...I hear ya on the repetitious threads... especially when someone asked the same question... two threads below it..as stated.. gives everyone something to argue about...I've been watching a "who dun it" thread on another web sight... the participant look like a bunch of school kids throwing  rocks at each other....
No such thing as off season for me... there is always something to do...

Mac Attack

« Reply #41 on: Nov 10, 2017, 12:39 PM »

Lol

Spider1

« Reply #42 on: Nov 10, 2017, 01:35 PM »

a thread like this just begs to be taken sideways...it's just remedying A "COMPLAINT" SO  SOME OF US ARE DOING SOMETHIONG ABOUT IT....( oops didn't mean caps_)...I hear ya on the repetitious threads... especially when someone asked the same question... two threads below it..as stated.. gives everyone something to argue about...I've been watching a "who dun it" thread on another web sight... the participant look like a bunch of school kids throwing  rocks at each other....
No such thing as off season for me... there is always something to do...

yeah... I might have had ulterior motives  :evil:

filetandrelease

« Reply #43 on: Nov 10, 2017, 01:37 PM »
I hear ya RG and your favorite the creeper thread , but remember some of those things they are being discussed or argued are  sponsored items 😉

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #44 on: Nov 10, 2017, 03:43 PM »
That's good....I feel better now Fred :D

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.