FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Intermediate rod reel set up  (Read 4957 times)

sisabdulax

Intermediate rod reel set up
« on: Feb 28, 2018, 09:51 PM »
Curious on opinions on a rod reel set up for jigging walleye. 7' med action rod I want.  Looking at Fenwick but not sure on a reel. This is spinning.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
Re: Intermediate rod reel set up
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2018, 04:37 AM »
Curious on opinions on a rod reel set up for jigging walleye. 7' med action rod I want.  Looking at Fenwick but not sure on a reel. This is spinning.
Pflueger President, smooth drag, flawless operation, great price.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2018, 06:32 AM »
Pflueger President, smooth drag, flawless operation, great price.

I agree with Greg.
But would also suggest the President XT

I have a model 20 for the walleye jiggig rod my son Jeff is building for me.
And I have a model 30 for the pike/steelhead rod he is also building for me.
I got them for about $70 each from a local bait shop owner where Jeff works.
Cabelas occasionally has them for $69.95, so the owner (an old friend of mine also) agreed he would match that price.

I went with the XT because of the red accents in the reel that works with the rod layout color design.
It also is a step up from the standard President.

I mounted both a President and XT to the same rods at Cabelas.
Really hard to tell the difference between the two.
So if cash is tight, go with the President.
You won't be dissatisfied.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:17 AM »
I have 4 or 5 Presidents in various sizes. They can't be beat for the price.

Rg.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rivereddy

« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:40 AM »
I must agree, Pfleuger Presidents are, for the cost, an outstanding reel.  One must spend a whole lot more to pick up a minimal boost in quality.
Fenwick, and LaCroix both make pretty good rods for the money as well.  For jigging walleye, I'd give a thought to a medium-light action.  The lighter blank may help feel the soft hit and "hanger" bites better and, with the quality of modern blanks, the rods are just as strong.  I used to make my own rods, but "Arthur" and old eyes have put that venture to rest.

Sage wishes- Ugly stick budget...

rivereddy

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2018, 08:59 AM »

Awesome!!!

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2018, 10:15 AM »
I must agree, Pfleuger Presidents are, for the cost, an outstanding reel.  One must spend a whole lot more to pick up a minimal boost in quality.
Fenwick, and LaCroix both make pretty good rods for the money as well.  For jigging walleye, I'd give a thought to a medium-light action.  The lighter blank may help feel the soft hit and "hanger" bites better and, with the quality of modern blanks, the rods are just as strong.  I used to make my own rods, but "Arthur" and old eyes have put that venture to rest.

rivereddy
X2 on the medium light.  I know nothing about walleyes but for what fishing I do, there is a significant difference in the medium light action.

sisabdulax

« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2018, 04:01 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I looked at the pfluegers as well. Nice reels. Been a while since I bought a spinning reel, used to be a shimano guy but wasn't impressed with what I saw.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2018, 06:40 PM »
Shimano reels just have too many parts. Over complicated....too many potential failures.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:26 PM »
Shimano reels just have too many parts. Over complicated....too many potential failures.

Rg
What he said............^^

boondox

« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2018, 12:49 AM »
If you can try to take a look see at okuma brand walleye rods those are decent rods along with st Croix and fenwick..  not sure if shimano rods are lifetime warranted any more??  but that what sold me on quite a few of their rods a few years ago..  also check and see if Powellco.com sells a good walleye stick??  I know they use to make nice fly rods but went to bass rods only.. so who knows if you know any one who can build you a rod?? Then  go to batson enterprises they got some mighty fine blanks even purchased Loomises new company north fork composites..  they have been producing some very nice blanks over the years with life time warrantis on some of there blanks.. best thing to do is pick it up and give the rod a wiggle see if you like it..

filetandrelease

« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2018, 05:39 AM »
Pflueger reels here , I have a pair of 8’3”  cheap cortland rods  ml for bucktails and a 7’ signature series med with a fast tip for blade baits , it’s all preference, also your line has a lot to do with bucktail jigging

sisabdulax

« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2018, 01:42 PM »
What are opinions on Diawa? They seemed pretty smooth as well. Ones I saw were in same ball park as the pfluegers.

Fish Dreamer

« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2018, 02:01 PM »
I have a question for you guys. Back in the 70's when I was fishing with my Dad. I brought two 7' Shakespeare rods both with 2200 shakespeare reels. I wad pumping gas at a MinuteMan gas station for 1.85 an hour. They were huge investments back then. Today the rods probably need to be replaced as the cork handles are alittle degraded and some of the eyes are damaged. The reels still work like new. I used these for spincasting,trolling and bullhead fishing. While I am planning to buy new poles, would new reels make a noticeable difference. Thanks in advance for any input.

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2018, 03:29 PM »
What are opinions on Diawa? They seemed pretty smooth as well. Ones I saw were in same ball park as the pfluegers.

If there is no difference price wise, why would you not buy the Pflueger??
Especially after reading all of the testimonies on Pfluegers here.

Just sayin.

8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.