FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Intermediate rod reel set up  (Read 4959 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Intermediate rod reel set up
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2018, 03:33 PM »
I have a question for you guys. Back in the 70's when I was fishing with my Dad. I brought two 7' Shakespeare rods both with 2200 shakespeare reels. I wad pumping gas at a MinuteMan gas station for 1.85 an hour. They were huge investments back then. Today the rods probably need to be replaced as the cork handles are alittle degraded and some of the eyes are damaged. The reels still work like new. I used these for spincasting,trolling and bullhead fishing. While I am planning to buy new poles, would new reels make a noticeable difference. Thanks in advance for any input.

Yes

sisabdulax

« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2018, 03:56 PM »
If there is no difference price wise, why would you not buy the Pflueger??
Especially after reading all of the testimonies on Pfluegers here.

Just sayin.

8)
I don't disagree with all the testimonies, and probably give one a try! But ones color may match a rod better lol  ;)

Mac Attack

« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2018, 04:24 PM »
I don't disagree with all the testimonies, and probably give one a try! But ones color may match a rod better lol  ;)

Yup!

That's the real reason I went with the XT's on my two new rods.
The red accents in them.
Crazy, but true.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:41 PM »
Daiwa reels are junk.

There's my opinion ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2018, 06:50 PM »
 :w00t:

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 03, 2018, 04:27 AM »
I have a question for you guys. Back in the 70's when I was fishing with my Dad. I brought two 7' Shakespeare rods both with 2200 shakespeare reels. I wad pumping gas at a MinuteMan gas station for 1.85 an hour. They were huge investments back then. Today the rods probably need to be replaced as the cork handles are alittle degraded and some of the eyes are damaged. The reels still work like new. I used these for spincasting,trolling and bullhead fishing. While I am planning to buy new poles, would new reels make a noticeable difference. Thanks in advance for any input.
Upgrade it all.  Huge difference in reels.  Lighter materials, smoother drags, balanced rotors, long cast spools, etc,etc......  Upgrade both rods and reels using the advice in this single thread and you won't go wrong.  Stay away from "combo's".  Usually a cheap rod paired with the reel you want. 
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Fish Dreamer

« Reply #21 on: Mar 03, 2018, 07:54 AM »
Thanks, sizematters. I will be heading to basspro right after I get the snowblowing done grr.

filetandrelease

« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2018, 07:17 AM »

I also prefer 1 piece rods

Houligan

« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2018, 11:05 PM »

If you are handy enough and want to keep those rods to fish with you can redo the guides and handles for far less then buying new... just saying because its cool to fix the rods yourself as a hobby. The ones you have are probably glass rods which are fine for some situations but there are way better rods on the market today for specific applications.

As far as reels, when people say something is "OK for the money" it usually means cheap as in the Pflueger reels which is fine if not using them that much . High end Shimano reels, regardless if some think there are too many parts, will by far out last most brands if using them 200 or more long days a year. "OK for the money" reels just can't cut it.

Bottom line, it sounds like you are not looking for top of the line products so go to your favorite tackle store look at the price tags, test the reels (you can feel which ones are smoother), and match them to the size rod, lure weights, line weights, and application you are wanting to use the rods for.

I also prefer 1 piece rods

+1 on one piece rods!!! ;)

Cheers!
Houligan

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2018, 05:31 AM »
If you are handy enough and want to keep those rods to fish with you can redo the guides and handles for far less then buying new... just saying because its cool to fix the rods yourself as a hobby. The ones you have are probably glass rods which are fine for some situations but there are way better rods on the market today for specific applications.

As far as reels, when people say something is "OK for the money" it usually means cheap as in the Pflueger reels which is fine if not using them that much . High end Shimano reels, regardless if some think there are too many parts, will by far out last most brands if using them 200 or more long days a year. "OK for the money" reels just can't cut it.

Bottom line, it sounds like you are not looking for top of the line products so go to your favorite tackle store look at the price tags, test the reels (you can feel which ones are smoother), and match them to the size rod, lure weights, line weights, and application you are wanting to use the rods for.

+1 on one piece rods!!! ;)

Cheers!
Houligan
Then realize "Those guys were right, the President is the best value in fishing."  Comparing apples to apples at the same price point, the mid-priced Pfluegers will keep you fishing till the over priced Stradics get back from the shop.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Mac Attack

« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Then realize "Those guys were right, the President is the best value in fishing."  Comparing apples to apples at the same price point, the mid-priced Pfluegers will keep you fishing till the over priced Stradics get back from the shop.

Agreed!
101%

But everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.  However correct or incorrect it may or may not be.

But I also agree that a person should try the reels side by side and formulate their own thoughts.  Cabellas allowed me to do that and I found the President line of reels far superior to all the others within a 10-15% price range of them.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2018, 04:35 PM »
My 2 cents. 
I owned a reel repair shop for years. I was an authorized service center for several manufacturers with the shop name and address on the paperwork in the box. I've cleaned and repaired almost every brand. It was very rare to see a Pflueger for other than a cleaning. 

Go some place where you can try different reels and make your choice by what you like.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Houligan

« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2018, 01:12 AM »
There is no right or wrong. The man asked for "any input". Does input only have to be mainstream or can the person asking have a chance to get varying opinions to make up his own mind? I give him credit enough to go with what works best for him based on varying information. None of it is about us.

Good luck on your upgrades Fish Dreamer. Regardless of what you go with enjoy your fishing!

sisabdulax

« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:24 AM »
There is no right or wrong. The man asked for "any input". Does input only have to be mainstream or can the person asking have a chance to get varying opinions to make up his own mind? I give him credit enough to go with what works best for him based on varying information. None of it is about us.

Good luck on your upgrades Fish Dreamer. Regardless of what you go with enjoy your fishing!

I agree, I not not against the higher end stuff, I just cant justify the cost for a hobby. For work i buy the best tools I can afford my livelihood depend on it. That being said I dont want junk either. Why I said intermediate. I appreciate all input on this subject, or any subject I have asked opinions on here. There is a wealth of knowledge here from a variety of areas and backgrounds. Just take what will work for you and go from there. Again thanks to all who have replied.

Mike

ICEHOLE

« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2018, 01:46 PM »
My over priced stradic Ci+4 has gotten a few years of abuse so far, even slid it off the roof of my jeep at 30 mph and skidded across the road and still works perfect...I do not enjoy greasing it tho, it is a PITA
BUT! I have also owned phleuger president and I am always recommending it to people when they ask me what they should buy. GREAT reel for the price point. I would probably buy 2 or three presidents before buying another stradic, but I do love my stradic Ci+4
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.