FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: baitcaster uses?  (Read 12599 times)

ClearCreek

Re: baitcaster uses?
« Reply #15 on: Jul 07, 2013, 09:09 PM »
What reel are you using specifically? Cause your statement should be reviewed. You are speaking of the very same thing known as the "magnetic brake." All bait casting reels have them and yes, they are in fact, centrifugal clutches.   Learn your Newton's Laws ;)

Dispy:

My statement does not need to be reviewed, what you wrote is just wrong, PERIOD!!

I own Shimano reels - Curados and Chronarchs.  These reels DO NOT have magnetic brakes; they have brakes that work on centrifugal force by setting or "popping out" the little plastic pieces that are found on the side of the reel opposite the cranking handle.  Magnetic brakes are found on some reels, centrifugal bakes on others and then there are those reels that have a dual braking system, they employ both - some of the Revos I know had, and maybe still do, a dual braking system.   

So, I an NOT talking about the very same thing.

I think in your zeal to prove to people on this board how much you think you know about fish and fishing you quickly post information that is less than accurate.  I would suggest that before you post an answer to someone you do some research, Google could help you out a lot.  Make sure you know what you are taking about before you post.  Giving people bad information does not help them in their quest to become a more proficient angler.

Think about it.................

ClearCreek 

Dispy

« Reply #16 on: Jul 07, 2013, 09:34 PM »
Apparently in your 'zest' you forgot to read back three posts in this topic Sir. I believe it went something like " My apologies ;) I have nothing to prove to anyone, like most, I simply provided accurate advice. Have a nice evening and catch some fish :)
"Meet the new with your ears, eyes and mind wide open, and your mouth tightly shut."

ClearCreek

« Reply #17 on: Jul 07, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Apparently in your 'zest' you forgot to read back three posts in this topic Sir. I believe it went something like " My apologies ;) I have nothing to prove to anyone, like most, I simply provided accurate advice. Have a nice evening and catch some fish :)

No zest on my part, I read your apology.  What I suggest is that before you post and then later have to apologize, do the research first and find the article like you posted in your apology statement, then post a reply that is accurate and informative.

That is not too much to ask is it?

ClearCreek

chez

« Reply #18 on: Jul 08, 2013, 08:23 AM »
BE nice guys.WE are all just a bunch of guys talking about fishing.puttin in our 2 cents for whats its worth to try to help a fellow fisherman.I got into a p***ing match with a guy 2 years ago on a icefishing site.I posted something about catching 4 trout [witch were out of season to keep but, the lake was opened to fishin.]YOU JUST COULDENT KEEP THE TROUT.[WELL this guy tried to hang me,not relizing we releast the 4 trout and only kept the panfish.HE made a total A** out of himself.[[[[I WANTED TO COME THREW THE COmPUTER AFTER HIM]]]].H E TRIED TO MAKE ME AND MY 2 SONS LOOK LIKE gangsers.LOL.If he read the post threw, he would of seen we didnt keep the trout.He said he was sorry and, we will have a beer someday.THAT WAS AFTER ABOUT 10 POST GOING BACK AND FORTH AT EACH OTHER.Its not worth it.Be cool  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #19 on: Jul 15, 2013, 01:06 PM »
Back to the baitcaster question!! I am amazed at the accuracy I am able to cast with my baitcaster now that I am on my 2nd year with one. The difference is having your thumb on the spool. You can't do that with a spinning reel. For this reason I love the baitcaster for fishing in heavy cover or on shorelines where I need to be accurate.

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 22, 2013, 07:17 PM »
I've read the posts and thanks for the info, since then I've snagged a few of the kids casting plugs and have been practicing and using it a lot more, and getting way better. I will never go without one again. heres a tip if your practcing in the yard don't cast into a tree, that may be how they came up with the term birds nest cuz it will instanly make one in ur reel ;)
done dirt cheap!

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 22, 2013, 07:54 PM »
I remember when I first got a baitcaster, it was the only set up I brought out fishing that day.....needless to say that trip lasted 1 cast

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #22 on: Jul 22, 2013, 08:43 PM »
My mother bought one for me at 15. She had no idea what to buy, and frankly I wouldn't have either. We did not take Gramps with us so I have spent a few years learning to use it.  Since taking the time to learn it in my late 20's I've bought a couple more and like using them.  But if that's all you take on a trip it could make it a long one.

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #23 on: Jul 22, 2013, 09:15 PM »
Yup! It was about 3 or 4 years ago since I did that. Now baitcasters are all I use, even for my unweighted soft plastics

matt12

« Reply #24 on: Jul 24, 2013, 09:41 AM »
im now on my 3rd year with a BC. after first year i bought my second. still use spinning, but for casting plugs i always use the BC.  Your rod will make a huge difference on how well your BC will work. wrong rod and you will have problems it seems. 

im not a huge fan of the drag but fun to use no less.

chez

« Reply #25 on: Jul 25, 2013, 04:45 PM »
i dont use my baitcasters in the river.

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #26 on: Jul 26, 2013, 12:54 AM »
Why not?

chez

« Reply #27 on: Jul 26, 2013, 05:40 AM »
IM not sure.For some reason I feel more comfortable with a spinning setup on the river.Plus I bait fish the river a lot.I do use my baitcaster setups on the lakes 90% of the time.

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #28 on: Aug 01, 2013, 09:55 PM »
IM not sure.For some reason I feel more comfortable with a spinning setup on the river.Plus I bait fish the river a lot.I do use my baitcaster setups on the lakes 90% of the time.
I hear ya, I think it's because you have to be way more precise when casting a baitcster, compared to sort of just winging the spinning rod as hard as you can. If you hit a tree with a spinning reel you can simply try and pull your setup free, if you hit a tree with a baitcaster, you'd better be good at getting them nests out of your reel, plus if you stay at the river till dark your asking for some tangles in your reel. the spinning rod is a permanent necessity of my arsenal, the baitcaster has been a well appreciated luxury, and I don't get why it's called a baitcaster cuz I bet it be pretty difficult casting a fathead or worm under a bobber, it should be called the weightcaster cuz the more weight you use the more advantage it has. Thanks for all the info on here guys, good luck everyone
done dirt cheap!

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #29 on: Aug 02, 2013, 12:22 AM »
Catching trees and plants is what made me a pro at getting backlashes out! I know what you're saying with casting a worm or a minnow. Live bait fishings is one of the rare times I use a spinning rod

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.