FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tackle Junkies: What's the one lure or type of lure..  (Read 4503 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Tackle Junkies: What's the one lure or type of lure..
« Reply #15 on: Sep 11, 2020, 05:57 AM »
Lipless crankbaits I throw all day.  Deep diving crank baits elude me.

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2020, 02:57 PM »
Lipless crankbaits I throw all day.  Deep diving crank baits elude me.
Agreed on both counts. As for the DDs, I keep trying them but haven't gone out of my way to pick any more up or to bang my head against the gunwale by throwing it all day when I can't buy a bite with em. I have a XD6 in perch, XD8 in olive shad, and a Hot Lips 25 foot I bought last year at Mardens in some weird blue shad/bow color.

I have no issue with shallow cranks or squarebills either, just the deep divers.

woodchip1

« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2020, 05:51 AM »
You need some Pearl DB smelts

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2020, 07:33 AM »
You need some Pearl DB smelts
I rarely ever fish for trout or salmon if I'm not wading/fly fishing, and I troll even less than that, but I'm always down to try something new! Thanks for the rec!

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2020, 07:40 AM »
Agreed on both counts. As for the DDs, I keep trying them but haven't gone out of my way to pick any more up or to bang my head against the gunwale by throwing it all day when I can't buy a bite with em. I have a XD6 in perch, XD8 in olive shad, and a Hot Lips 25 foot I bought last year at Mardens in some weird blue shad/bow color.

I have no issue with shallow cranks or squarebills either, just the deep divers.
Update: Did find a 3XD that I had stuffed in a non-crankbait box. Threw in in a 7-23 ft section of the Kennebec on Saturday. Lotta shorts, one that was 3lb 8oz. I don't know if I would consider it a true deep diver (since it usually only runs 10-12ft), but results are results and might start me reconsidering my feelings towards DDs.

woodchip1

« Reply #20 on: Sep 14, 2020, 11:26 AM »

D B Smelt

The one i had had two holes drilled in an 1/8' on each side just behind gill plate , and when trolling it along it  would send out a row of bubbles on each side. it was hot.

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Sep 14, 2020, 03:21 PM »
I have quite the collection of DB's.  Love them.  Like the hole idea.

woodchip1

« Reply #22 on: Sep 14, 2020, 06:25 PM »
The lure had a clear plastic cover. it was where the hole were drilled in the plastic

lowaccord66

« Reply #23 on: Sep 15, 2020, 09:15 AM »
Got a pic woodchip? 

fishlessman

« Reply #24 on: Sep 15, 2020, 10:50 AM »
Got a pic woodchip?
would like to see that as well, not sure i know what the plastic cover is. was it modified

woodchip1

« Reply #25 on: Sep 15, 2020, 06:25 PM »
I had a clear coating it looked to be thicker than the holes on each side just behind gills the color was under on the metal , also it looked like each scale was notched into the metal   it was a hot lure for trout and Salmon for a few years  until i lost it and was never able to find another.

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Sep 15, 2020, 08:03 PM »
Hmm wonder if you could duplicate it using uv resin. 

woodchip1

« Reply #27 on: Sep 16, 2020, 06:14 AM »
.http://www.vintagefishingtackle-uk.com/abulures.htm      Not sure if this link is still around.

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #28 on: Sep 16, 2020, 08:44 AM »
Hmm wonder if you could duplicate it using uv resin.
That might be worth trying. Not sure if it would be easier to do a mold and suspend it in partially set resin before covering the top and sealing it (which might lead to week points where it was joined) or just keep adding coats of it and curing it after each one (which might lead to visible layers/distortion, as well as take a LOT longer)?

Tackle craft is so interesting to me and something that I've wanted to get deeper into. Maybe if I actually buy a house/garage at some point, my apartment's second bedroom is already running triple duty as my office, fishing gear storage, and musical instrument/gear storage.

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #29 on: Sep 25, 2020, 10:54 AM »
Just got this in my newest Tackle Warehouse order: https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Keitech_Tungsten_Guard_Spin_Jig/descpage-KGSJ.html
I wish I had read the reviews for it as I figured it would be a little smaller than a Bitsy Bug, not half its size (or smaller). It may come in handy for the annoying habit of Trout picking up my finesse bass jigs and the hook being too stout to fully penetrate (it's a very light wire hook, but seems like strong for its gauge).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.