FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 560459 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3735 on: May 19, 2023, 08:49 PM »
62 you caught fish ......your doing better then you think .....the rest will come with experience ..... and yes taking fish on top is really fun but......most my fish come subsurface
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

62 & Done

« Reply #3736 on: May 19, 2023, 09:19 PM »
Thanks trapp  I owe you guys big

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3737 on: May 20, 2023, 07:41 AM »
Just got back from testing some flies.I was about 3 for 5 on the surface. Then I tried a new wet fly I came up with.

They liked this one a lot. Gonna rain most of the day. Good time to tie flies and clean fly lines.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3738 on: May 20, 2023, 07:43 AM »
I like that one too!  I was watching a movie called "living the stream" with joe humpfreys and he was swinging wets at night catching big trout.  Always wanted to try that.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3739 on: May 20, 2023, 07:54 AM »
I put that one together for bluegills. Hard to say what else it would entice. Not much more fun than catching fish on a fly you came up with. Don’t think I could fly fish at night. 5x tippet looks like hair to these old eyes….even with 2 pairs of glasses.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

62 & Done

« Reply #3740 on: May 20, 2023, 09:03 AM »
I'll bet that's a winner rg  I had a scud of some sort that same green color  on my first outing that the gills clobbered until a pickerel ended up with it   You really have a talent there

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3741 on: May 20, 2023, 10:07 AM »
Nah…..just an old fart with a fly rod.

62 & Done

« Reply #3742 on: May 20, 2023, 06:18 PM »
went to a little pond today -figured I'd walk the shore line with hip boots. Never thought about it being a weekend -  guess I'll have to try again in a couple days

Johnnh

« Reply #3743 on: May 20, 2023, 06:37 PM »
I am considering an Orvis Clearwater Combo 5wt 9ft for fly fishing on my Oldtown Sportsman 120 pdl kayak. Target fish are trout, sunfish, bluegill, white perch and smallmouth.

Any comments good, bad or ugly are appreciated.
John

lowaccord66

« Reply #3744 on: May 20, 2023, 08:40 PM »
Any 9' 5w will work great for what you are targeting.  Specifically if you stick to smaller size streamers.  Id imagine that rig will work great.  Also might be worth grabbing an extra spool at some point and running a full sink if you want to tow streamers around on the pdl.

One thing I want to get into this year is fishing chironomids with a midge tip.  I know a res that has a lot of trout that sip those little guys and apparently this is a very good way to get after them. 

https://www.youtube.com/live/cj8kV2P9RvQ?feature=share

ECobb91

« Reply #3745 on: May 21, 2023, 06:15 AM »
Ended up at a small lake yesterday with my dad for a few hours. Went there with our bass gear all loaded up and some worms to dangle dangling for panfish.  Started out great with some slab bluegills and perch so once we got to a spot with a break in the wind I pulled out my little 6’6” 2wt fly rod that I built myself

Man that was some of the most fun I’ve had lake fishing in a long time. Caught probably a dozen bluegills and pumpkinseeds that were 8-10” long.  that 2wt it felt like I’m fighting a tarpon with the bluegills  ;D

a little squirmy worm was the ticket and it got beat up so bad the only thing holding the elastic worm to the hook was some florocarbon I wrapped around it when it started to come apart after a few fish.

We both completely ignored the bass for majority of the time we were there.

Johnnh

« Reply #3746 on: May 21, 2023, 10:10 AM »
Lowaccord66,
Thanks for your response.
I think i will pull the plug on the Orvis clearwater 9ft 5wt this week.
I will probably use it on some streams as well.
Quick question: Do you ever use Helgrimites? (Nasty biters but worth the pain)
John

62 & Done

« Reply #3747 on: May 21, 2023, 11:55 AM »
John I'm curios about the kayak  Is it stable enough to stand up and swing that fly rod?  I've been searching & trying to decide on a kayak, or sportspal canoe  I just want something light and manageable by myself.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3748 on: May 21, 2023, 12:59 PM »
Flies you tie won’t bite you.

A “go to” for me when the water warms up.

Johnnh

« Reply #3749 on: May 21, 2023, 02:24 PM »
62 and Done,
The kayak is 85 lbs, peddle drive is 19 lbs
Add fish finder, 10 amp hour battery, 4 rods, tackle, etc and your at about 135 lbs.
I back my truck down the ramp or put the kayak on my cart. I am not young , but i manage loading and unloading ok.
Very stable and no problem standing up.
Go to youtube and you will find all sorts of videos

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.