FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: old f--ts with flyrods  (Read 561437 times)

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
Re: old f--ts with flyrods
« Reply #3750 on: May 21, 2023, 07:06 PM »
John I'm curios about the kayak  Is it stable enough to stand up and swing that fly rod?  I've been searching & trying to decide on a kayak, or sportspal canoe  I just want something light and manageable by myself.

Not sure if kayak, fly fishing and standing up is something anyone over 50 should be doing...h2l

Johnnh

« Reply #3751 on: May 21, 2023, 08:27 PM »
The Old Town Sportsman 120 pdl is a very stable platform. The key is balance. I spent 15 years of my career as a utility lineman. Climbing poles, towers, ladders and those comfortable days in a bucket truck all contribute to good balance and self confidence.
I am well past that 50 mark and understand the comment about being older and I certainly admit standing up on kayak is not for everyone.
John

lowaccord66

« Reply #3752 on: May 22, 2023, 04:42 PM »
Lowaccord66,
Thanks for your response.
I think i will pull the plug on the Orvis clearwater 9ft 5wt this week.
I will probably use it on some streams as well.
Quick question: Do you ever use Helgrimites? (Nasty biters but worth the pain)
John

I dont use them or have flies to imitate them outside of larger black buggers. I typically dont see many in the rivers I fish. 

Bartman44

« Reply #3753 on: May 22, 2023, 05:37 PM »
I occasionally use a Hellgrammite pattern in the Catskills primarily.  I found a pattern many years ago that works. I'll see if I can dig one out of my box and take a pic.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3754 on: May 22, 2023, 07:50 PM »
A lot of patterns imitate a stone. I think they’re off the mark.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3755 on: May 22, 2023, 08:25 PM »
Some of the perdigons I use are really just a bead at the end of the day.  I use to think matching the hatch was the end all be all of this sport.  I was very wrong.  Except trico season...trout ellude me during that hatch.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3756 on: May 23, 2023, 01:07 PM »
Just finished cleaning and conditioning 5 fly lines. Gotta take care of the gear.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #3757 on: May 23, 2023, 01:58 PM »
Yes, good advice. They collect dirt and grime pretty quickly.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3758 on: May 23, 2023, 02:17 PM »
Yeah, at $100 each they deserve some love. I have about 20 fly lines in various conditions and weights. Some are 20 or more years old and still serviceable.

I highly recommend Cortland fly line cleaner. Been using it for ….well……a very long time. I strip my lines into a dish pan with a mild solution of Dawn and warm water. Run them through a wadded paper towel. Rinse them and dry them. Then I apply the line cleaner and conditioner. It works. Period. They cast like new .

Best thing is, by handling the line from end to end you find out if there’s any nicks or kinks. You also get to stretch the line a bit which is very healthy.  If it’s a double taper you can decide to reverse it if necessary.

A frugal fly fisher …….I am…..I guess. Anyway, nothing bettean a smooth casting fly line.

62 & Done

« Reply #3759 on: May 23, 2023, 06:09 PM »
  Got out on a little pond this morning for a few hrs. Really didn't plan on much of a catch there but the plan was for some casting practice and some playing with different types of flies. First I found out my one year old hip boots leak terrible leaving me with 2 wet feet. Great
  Next : the fishing/casting  I do think I saw some improvement today. With the lack of wind, it was a little easier to make some progress. So I caught some fish, all of which were set free.   The best was a 12" large mouth  who thought he was a 12' orca. He came from the depths and attacked a green beetle like floater (thanks Trapper) as if it was a baby seal. There were some gills, and a couple crappie who also added to the entertainment. Also had a very affectionate pooch swim out from shore to see what all the fun was about. I must have looked a bit silly as every half hr I could be seen arranging and rearranging all my stuff in my vest just to make sure it was all in a proper place to be handy.

So, with all that said, any body have a remedy for weather checked hip boots? There are no holes just a bunch of cracks. Paid good for those boots.

Hope every body is enjoying this dribble.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3760 on: May 23, 2023, 08:20 PM »
Just finished cleaning and conditioning 5 fly lines. Gotta take care of the gear.

I'm glad you mentioned this.  The price of a spare spool is steep and its already time to pull the full sink off my 6w and put the floating line back on...it needs a cleaning real bad!  Didnt think of dish soap.

62, loon makes a uv wader repair resin that has worked well for me.  Might be worth trying.  Nice thing is it cures in seconds. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3761 on: May 24, 2023, 12:20 PM »
Well Trapper you were right. Gills were a bit slow this morning. Tied on a scud and they slammed it. Put a few in my box just because..To be honest I think it’s the first time I’ve ever fished a scud with the fly rod. Always used them ice fishing.

Good advice……thanks.

We never stop learning about this game of out smarting a fish. Out smarting a fish…….gives me pause for thought.

62 & Done

« Reply #3762 on: May 24, 2023, 03:34 PM »
rg did you fish just the skud, or did you put it on as a trailer behind another fly ?     Tomorrow may be my only opportunity for a few days and I'm sure it will be a tough bite with the temperature drop and the breeze.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3763 on: May 24, 2023, 04:57 PM »
Just the scud. It was a bit heavier than I wanted. But, it sis the trick.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3764 on: May 24, 2023, 08:06 PM »
Cress bug pattern should do well too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.