FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 2020 end of canal season  (Read 3698 times)

old man river

2020 end of canal season
« on: Oct 06, 2020, 04:31 PM »
For Your Boating information
'just posted
www.canals.ny.gov>boating

October 14, 2020
2020 Navigation Season
Effective Thursday, September 17, 2020, all locks and lift bridges on the Canal system will operate daily between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm.
The Canal system is scheduled to close to navigation at 5:00 pm on Wednesday, October 14, 2020.Sep 14, 2020

Hours of Operation - New York State Canals
ralph

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: 2020 end of canal season
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2020, 07:27 AM »
Good! Maybe I can fish in peace for a couple weeks.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2020, 05:43 AM »
They’re pulling boats every day at the marina on the canal near me. Can’t say I’ll miss the Packett Boat parades. Glad they ended up having a season though.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

old man river

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2020, 04:23 PM »
well question remains with me
 end of season in canal.
will they begin to lower water
to make it difficult to launch smaller boats?
ralph

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2020, 04:54 PM »
From my experience, Usually not for a few weeks after it closes. Been mostly full well into December the last few years.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2020, 01:31 PM »
Pulling the packett boats today.

That was 9:00 this morning. They had it all bunked up for storage when I stopped back at 2:00. And three others.

Those guys really know what they’re doing with big boats. Fun to watch.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2020, 09:34 AM »
All the boats are in dry dock and the canal is down a couple feet. Supposedly they’re going to drain it quicker than normal in some sections so they can get a head start on maintenance. I’ll be putting my boat away next week.

Been getting smallish perch from shore. Hope it drops a bit more before ice.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2020, 02:42 PM »
Short but good season for sure.  :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2020, 03:34 PM »
Yes it was Dom. Only one walleye this year. But, a lot of really nice perch. Can’t wait to ice fish it this winter.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2020, 05:25 AM »
They’re draining the canal pretty fast this year. Guess they want to get going on some missed maintenance.  Went yesterday morning for a bit. All I got was muddy. Hip boots today! And Mabel different approach.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2020, 06:03 AM »
Very disappointed in how much the walking trail has affected access to fishermen... 
  There used to be a lot of spots where we could park and throw the rowboat over the bank and fish..
 They could have put more fishing access in..
 Now there's mostly fence along the spots we used to go and the new boulders they are using for riprap is impossible to carry a rowboat over.
Especially for my worn out bones... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

old man river

« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2020, 08:11 AM »
well  its over  canal here along Clyde /Lyons its way lower than normal
I wonder how much they will lower the lake   Ontario and bays ?
my boat its now in garage till spring
ralph

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2020, 08:17 AM »
Put my boat away yesterday. Still plenty of shore fishing to do till it freezes.

Yeah, there’s a lot more people using the trail. I used to be able to walk a couple miles of it without seeing a soul. Now they’re out there in the dark early morning with lights walking their dogs and riding bicycles.

Got a couple decent perch this morning. High pressure and bright sunshine shuts them down. But, I know they’re there. I’ll just keep going.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2020, 03:32 PM »
Went back to the same spot this afternoon and it was a mud flat. Not sure what’s next.

Rg

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2020, 04:11 PM »
It doesn’t take long for the water level to drop does it? Same thing out here in the capital district

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.