FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 623908 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3840 on: Aug 19, 2020, 09:53 AM »
10 w  rod = beat up  bluefish  :D

seriously i  got the  TFO  pro II  9wt  9 ft  they make it in a  10 wt also  ...my  9  wt  i have  fished  steelies  salmon  blues  and  stripers  and the  price  was  extremely affordable .... i love mine  check one out
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

lowaccord66

« Reply #3841 on: Aug 19, 2020, 11:20 AM »
10 w  rod = beat up  bluefish  :D

seriously i  got the  TFO  pro II  9wt  9 ft  they make it in a  10 wt also  ...my  9  wt  i have  fished  steelies  salmon  blues  and  stripers  and the  price  was  extremely affordable .... i love mine  check one out

Very interesting.  I have that in a 8w on its way from Amazon.  Just want to make sure I have enough power to turn over those big flies.  If you think 9w will do it I will give it a shot.  Way more affordable than my Thomas and Thomas contact rods....

trapper2000

« Reply #3842 on: Aug 19, 2020, 01:29 PM »
i  throw  surf candy  big  clousers  with  lots of  weight  and i have  no problem you can try mine  when you  come  salmon  fishing if you want 

lowaccord66

« Reply #3843 on: Aug 19, 2020, 02:35 PM »
i  throw  surf candy  big  clousers  with  lots of  weight  and i have  no problem you can try mine  when you  come  salmon  fishing if you want

I may need to.  Salmon bite flies?   ;D

trapper2000

« Reply #3844 on: Aug 19, 2020, 03:24 PM »
no they  don't  bite  nothing   but ya  can  get some  numbers  chucking and  ducking  or   cast a  clouser  in front of then  and about the  time  that   strike  indicator  is even  with the fish   KAAAYUCKKKKK  fish on  this  is  why  so many   west coast anglers  talk about  kayuck  flies ......a  native  american   term  for  foolish  white  man trys to  get chinook  to hit in river ......well drag ole  freddie out  of retirement  too ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3845 on: Aug 19, 2020, 05:53 PM »
TFO makes a good blank. I have two in my collection. Both that I’ve built. A 9’ 6wt Axiom and an 8’ Lefty Kregh 3 wt. love them both.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #3846 on: Aug 19, 2020, 07:06 PM »
they are good  rods  at a  very good  price

lowaccord66

« Reply #3847 on: Aug 20, 2020, 12:53 PM »
I received the 8w tfo pro 2.  Haven't cast it yet but I like it.  I have a cheaper tfo 5w that I always thought was capable per its price point. 

Last night I ordered a 10w tfo esox rod (I almost pulled the trigger on the axiom), 9' and 2 of their new BVK reels...one 8w and one 10w.  Going to run a sink tip on the 10w and a floating rio pike/musky line for the 8w.  Price was reasonable...for just a bit more money than one of my Thomas and Thomas rods I got 2 reels, two fly lines and a 10w rod.  Can't complain.

I haven't specifically targeted pike/bass so it should be fun. 

Trapp I think the 8w will be perfect for steelhead once it gets cold.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3848 on: Aug 20, 2020, 06:07 PM »
Well....you’re good for the economy anyway.

The Axiom is a fairly stiff, fast rod. Takes some getting used to. Very powerful. Makes you think and slow down a bit. Once you get the feel, “ Hero Casts” are the norm.

It’s hard for me to find water big enough to use it on in my area.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3849 on: Aug 21, 2020, 07:45 AM »
I'll keep that in mind when I start casting these larger heavier rods.  Most of my fly fishing these days is European style nymphing so its mostly lobs on very thin comp line or mono rigs.  Will take some getting used to throwing actual fly line.  I'm sure the sink tip (intermediate) will be interesting to toss. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3850 on: Aug 21, 2020, 08:22 AM »
I had my Fenwick FF856 on the stream last week. It’s amazing how well that rod casts. It’s fairly heavy at 3 3/8 oz., but it casts like a dream with a long slow action. Polar opposites from the Axiom.

My favorite rod is still my Pfleuger President 9’, 5wt. I bought that rod more than 30 years ago for $19.00 on clearance at Dicks. It’s an IM6 blank and is just plain comfortable. Sees more time on the water than any other rod I own, and its one of three in my collection that I didn’t build.....mostly. I did replace the eyes with TICH at one point.

I’ve been going through my collection this summer, taking out different rods on every trip. Haven’t taken my Boo out yet. I’m always afraid to use it. It’s such a beauty.

Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #3851 on: Aug 21, 2020, 09:44 AM »
heading down to beat up some blue gills :)......tiny poppers  foam and  bead heads :D

lowaccord66

« Reply #3852 on: Aug 21, 2020, 09:30 PM »
Nice Trapp.  Pfluger is a great brand.  I had one of their 50 dollar president reels for over a decade and beat it up hard. 

The more I get back into fly fishing the more I think less about the conventional stuff.  So many species to chase again with renewed vigor. 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3853 on: Aug 26, 2020, 12:12 PM »
Been playing around with this little dace pattern.

Might work.

Rg

lowaccord66

« Reply #3854 on: Aug 27, 2020, 01:38 PM »
Got the TFO's rigged up and took them for a test drive.  They cast nicely.  The 10w with the sinking line is a beast but thats to be expected. 

That dace pattern looks great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.