FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fun with Schoolies!  (Read 928 times)

stripernut

Fun with Schoolies!
« on: Oct 08, 2017, 07:42 AM »
Will and I made it down to the Northshore Friday with some light tackle for all the reported schoolies and we were not disappointed! Of course, we were hoping to find some bigger fish, but the fast action for hours with the schoolies made up for not finding the big girls... Fly Rod or poppers it did not matter and we never did have to share a single school. The weather was warmer than predicted, the water was flatter and the boat ran great. We found pogies and countless mackerel with not a fish bothering them, we tried fishing bait a few spots but never saw a keeper. Other boats we saw looking for bigger fish found the same, but that is what happens this time of year... The next tide a new group of big bass could move thru and you could have a epic bite. Another great day on the water, nothing pic worthy, but lots of fun none the less!

Baitbucket

Re: Fun with Schoolies!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Was fun indeed. Was really nice to put those single inline hooks on my topwaters to the test instead of the trebles.

otzi thawed

• Sit up and show up!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2017, 11:30 AM »
I usually go to southern Maine for a weekend, late September, to fish for stripers. Changed things up and went to the Cape last weekend fishing from the surf. All small fish, largest about 26", but lots of them. Nauset beach area. No one at all fishing at night but me. Hearing reports of lots of fish still in Maine. Timing is everything.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2017, 12:54 PM »
Generally speaking after over a decade of fall runs fishing the canal, rhode island and NY....schoolies are usually first to arrive and last to leave.  I strongly suspect that last big push of bass through the canal was a good portion of the fish north.  I hope I am wrong!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.