FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Nothing like an afternoon meal of BG fillets  (Read 1797 times)

taxid

Nothing like an afternoon meal of BG fillets
« on: May 30, 2023, 12:37 PM »
One of the advantages of having your own pond. Five caught in a few minutes was enough for my dad and I for lunch. Mom ate something else. Tried something new for fish mix: Andy's Red Fish Mix with paprika. Anybody else use it?

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

Re: Nothing like an afternoon meal of BG fillets
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 01:14 PM »
Can never beat fresh caught fish.
And when you know their exact diet...............even better!!!

taxid

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 02:11 PM »
Can never beat fresh caught fish.
And when you know their exact diet...............even better!!!

I stopped feeding them this year except for the trout. Artificial feed prices like everything else have skyrocketed and never came back down (funny how that happens), and since my main income is Social Security now...

They aren't starving though that's for sure.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 02:26 PM »
Friggen cannibals

lowaccord66

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 02:32 PM »
Looks good to me!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 02:49 PM »
Lucky Dad!

You’re a good man.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2023, 09:34 AM »
Beautiful coloration on that male! Beautiful coloration on those filets! Kinda makin' me hungry  :w00t:

What do you think of your new fish mix? Is it spicy?

taxid

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 12:14 PM »
Beautiful coloration on that male! Beautiful coloration on those filets! Kinda makin' me hungry  :w00t:

What do you think of your new fish mix? Is it spicy?

It's not spicy. It is good but seems to be missing something. Maybe add salt? I used to dip in egg and dredge in Italian breadcrumbs and may go back to that.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #8 on: Jun 01, 2023, 07:54 AM »
Maybe try some smoked paprika with it to give it a little more bite? It's not hot spicy, but definitely more spicy than regular paprika. I use it a lot when cooking eggs (salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic and onion). Also, McCormick makes a pretty good new spice called Chipotle Roasted Garlic and Herbs. It's excellent.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jun 01, 2023, 07:56 AM »
Maybe try some smoked paprika with it to give it a little more bite? It's not hot spicy, but definitely more spicy than regular paprika. I use it a lot when cooking eggs (salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic and onion). Also, McCormick makes a pretty good new spice called Chipotle Roasted Garlic and Herbs. It's excellent.

I may give that a try. In the meantime I think I'm going to purchase an electric knife. Been told it works great for filleting bluegills.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #10 on: Jun 01, 2023, 08:00 AM »
MCCORMICK® GRILL MATES® CHIPOTLE & ROASTED GARLIC SEASONING
https://www.mccormick.com/grill-mates/flavors/seasoning-blends/grill-mates-chipotle-and-roasted-garlic-seasoning

This has been my favorite spice lately. I've always loved the Roasted Garlic and Herb version. But this one pops! I pretty much put it on anything LOL.

P.S. I don't work for them  :rotflol:

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #11 on: Jun 01, 2023, 08:02 AM »
I started using an electric filet knife years ago when I found out that they do a pretty good job on panfish. I still use my regular filet knife if I only have a few fish, but when I bring a lot home after icefishing, I can get through the process much faster with it. You'll like it. It also comes in handy when fileting bigger fish.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2023, 12:05 PM »
I started using an electric filet knife years ago when I found out that they do a pretty good job on panfish. I still use my regular filet knife if I only have a few fish, but when I bring a lot home after icefishing, I can get through the process much faster with it. You'll like it. It also comes in handy when fileting bigger fish.

Any particular size or brand you recommend?

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #13 on: Jun 01, 2023, 12:49 PM »
I have to get back to you. Gotta check when I get home from work on what I have. I don't remember. I'm old...

But, I'd bet the Mr. Crappie, Berkeley or Rapala ones would do the job. Looks like their more expensive than the one I got 30 years ago LOL. I guess it's because they use lithium batteries maybe? I have a corded one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.