FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mixed Results  (Read 818 times)

bogtrotter

Mixed Results
« on: Aug 13, 2023, 09:01 PM »
I took a buddy and his girlriend  fishing on the South Hoosic from 11 AM to 1 PM today.

The weather was partly cloudy and about 70 degrees, with ideal stream conditions, but the fishing itself was abysmal.

We started below the Cheshire Harbor dam, and then drove down to Mullen Mayflower and fished from there to Elm Rock,

Aside from a few half-hearted taps here and there, with not one decent strike among them, we didn't have any action whatsoever.

I really don't get it,

After my guests drove home, I was reluctant to leave things there, so instead I drove up to North Adams to fish the North Hoosic from 1:45 PM to 3:30 PM.

On the drive up, it rained pretty hard for a while, but then tapered off, and cleared up altogether (with temps rising to 80 degrees) shortly after I arrived at the entrance to the Natural Marble Bridge State Park.

After getting skunked by the entrance to the Park, I drove downstream to the big roll dam.

There, after sidling out on a horizontal split in the concrete about a foot above the water line, and perching precariously toward the middle of the dam, I cast across the water fall that flows over the center of it, and eventually hooked and landed two fish: a 9" brown followed by a 15" rainbow.

After that, I waded downstream and past Old Glory Rock, without eliciting any strikes.

Then I kept going downstream, and worked my way down below the Eclipse Mill dam, where I reeled in one more (14") rainbow not far from where the North Branch enters the flood control chutes, before finally calling it a day.

lowaccord66

Re: Mixed Results
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2023, 07:14 AM »
Nice trip Jim.  Love the dam crawl.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
Re: Mixed Results
« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2023, 01:49 PM »
Persistance paid off. Good job

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com