FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trailer brakes  (Read 1598 times)

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Trailer brakes
« on: Oct 12, 2018, 08:34 AM »
Are electric brakes just a bad idea on a boat trailer? Just because they get dunked all the time? I pretty much have to rebuild my entire brake system for my boat trailer before next season and my truck has a brake controller. I don't much like the surge brakes that are on the boat trailer now, but there must be a reason they are on there since not much expense was spared when the previous owner replaced the trailer.

Mac Attack

Re: Trailer brakes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Geoff:
Surge brakes are cheaper for boat trailers.
I like electric brakes.

However, I have only ever seen them on larger boat trailers.
I mean the ones for boats close to 30'.

Electric brakes can be adjusted inside the cab as you know.
And you have a manual lever to apply them if/when needed to straighten things out if need be.
Also, when you unplug your lights at the ramp, you also unplug the brakes.
This makes backing things down the ramp easier.
Lots of advantages to electric brakes.

I would upgrade to electric.
I would also upgrade to disc brakes if your rig isn't already disc.
If you tow a lot of miles, brakes are worth every penny you spend on them.

Think of this.
Why do all old muscle car owners upgrade to large dual piston disc brakes on cars that originally used drum brakes?
What also so they go with stainless steel lines, etc.
They want to be able to control and stop that rocket.

I drove those cars back in the late 60's and 70's.
Stopping wasn't fun.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Afterwards get a 2 cylinder kicker.   8)

Mac Attack

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2018, 09:49 AM »
My trailer is disks right now, but surge coupler activated. Or I should say, not activated at all it seems. The disks look rusty and the coupler clanks around a lot and it doesn't activate at all when I am backing it up my very steep, dirt driveway. I'm hoping I can revive the disks and calipers, and I can just buy an electric/hydraulic activator. But even if not, I think I will rebuild the whole system that way. Surge brakes suck. My sled trailer has electric brakes and they work awesome.

Roccus

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Trailer brakes are always a bine of contention and a headache to most people..2 seasons ago I  replaced the axel on my 1978 shoreline trailer and added a set of Tie down engineering G2 surge disc brakes . prior that it never had them.

Best upgrade I've ever done to that old trailer. .it's only used in salt water but by keeping the caliper pins and coupler slides greased it stops excellent. .i can feel it slow the truck down when I apply the brakes...they are not as jumpy as other surge brakes I have seen..the price was reasonable ..alot cheaper than Dee Max..they saved my butt coming back from Ontario last fall..which was the reason I installed them in the first place.i don't think the perfect trailer brakes has been invented..but they have come a long way the last few years.

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2018, 03:56 PM »
Tie Down Engineering is a very good company.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.