FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bluebirds  (Read 15689 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Bluebirds
« Reply #60 on: Jan 18, 2021, 02:47 PM »
Ya know.......we could do something like that here. There’s a few of us, but not that many. I’d be willing to keep score and donate some of my handiwork stuff. Might be good for these dreary days of winter. Heck, it would  give me a reason to go for a walk when I’m really not inclined to.

I’d be interested in how your son framed this contest Bart. What species count etc.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #61 on: Jan 18, 2021, 04:08 PM »
Look up back yard bird count.
 Audubon use to send me a poster of birds in North America.  Mom use to do it...
But we can start our own....... ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #62 on: Jan 18, 2021, 04:31 PM »
We’ve done that many years. Just thought something for our small group might be fun.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #63 on: Jan 18, 2021, 04:39 PM »
I'm in.......
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #64 on: Jan 18, 2021, 05:03 PM »
Let me give it a think. I’m off tomorrow and sure I can come up with something cooperative and fun to do.

Any suggestions are very welcome.
 Bob

zwiggles

« Reply #65 on: Jan 18, 2021, 05:44 PM »
I’m in. That sounds like fun!

Bartman44

« Reply #66 on: Jan 18, 2021, 06:45 PM »
Ya know.......we could do something like that here. There’s a few of us, but not that many. I’d be willing to keep score and donate some of my handiwork stuff. Might be good for these dreary days of winter. Heck, it would  give me a reason to go for a walk when I’m really not inclined to.

I’d be interested in how your son framed this contest Bart. What species count etc.

Rg

My son created a group "Birdwatching"  Excel spreadsheet that's housed in Google. Everyone playing needs a Google account. If you have Gmail you already have an account. You go into your account and go to "sheets" then open it up. The spreadsheet has a summary page showing each teams' totals and then tabs for each team. You select your tab, find the bird you viewed (all the birds are preloaded), then add the date and location and you are done. It updates in real time so you can check the summary page to see how the others are doing.  I can check with my son to see what list he uploaded into the spreadsheet but it's eastern birds for sure, maybe even birds of NY. There are about 500 species preloaded to choose from. It is also programmed to give you 2 points if you are the only one currently 2 have found the bird and 1 point for all others.  Another rule of our contest is that the bird must be viewed in NY so pink flamingos don't count.     

Bartman44

« Reply #67 on: Jan 18, 2021, 07:03 PM »
X2! In suitors to here if some of the birds in the list if you don’t mind? Unless I missed something with the scoring 42, is a lot of birds!

Also very cool story of the owls. I used to go every night and have a drink/smoke on a trail in the woods by my house we’re the bats would pour out of my neighbors barn, down the trail, and out in the fields to feast.

42 is good but there are many, many sub species, lots of types sparrow, gull, ducks, etc. there's about 500 species on the list. Here's what the wife and I compiled since the first of the year. Some obvious ones still to get but many are tough to identify without good binoculars or camera zoom lens. I've dusted off my old SLR camera for this and it's fun to be taking photos again with something other than a smart phone.

Here's my "2 point"  barred owl from last week.       

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #68 on: Jan 30, 2021, 07:19 AM »
My son created a group "Birdwatching"  Excel spreadsheet that's housed in Google. Everyone playing needs a Google account. If you have Gmail you already have an account. You go into your account and go to "sheets" then open it up. The spreadsheet has a summary page showing each teams' totals and then tabs for each team. You select your tab, find the bird you viewed (all the birds are preloaded), then add the date and location and you are done. It updates in real time so you can check the summary page to see how the others are doing.  I can check with my son to see what list he uploaded into the spreadsheet but it's eastern birds for sure, maybe even birds of NY. There are about 500 species preloaded to choose from. It is also programmed to give you 2 points if you are the only one currently 2 have found the bird and 1 point for all others.  Another rule of our contest is that the bird must be viewed in NY so pink flamingos don't count.   

Went into my Google account and looked in “sheets” . Didn’t find the spreadsheet you describe. Maybe it has to be shared somehow?

Bob

Perch-Pirate

« Reply #69 on: Jan 30, 2021, 08:24 AM »
I think he needs to share it. I am also not able to find it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #70 on: Jan 31, 2021, 08:55 AM »
Birds have been really mowing the feed.

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #71 on: Jan 31, 2021, 07:10 PM »
Sorry you didn't find it RG. I come from a time where the greatest technological invention was a 100 lb. tube color TV that got three channels.  My oldest son is super busy at work so I asked my youngest son today and after talking to him, it may be too complicated for a guy like me to go build shared Excel files.

Maybe everyone can just keep a record of their sightings in their own  Word document and then take a picture of the doc then post in the thread every time they have an update.   

I looked for NY bird listings and came up with a few

https://nybirds.org/RecordsChecklists.htm     

https://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/checklist.jsp?region=USny&list=howardmoore

Last, We've been using e-bird to check on recent sightings. You need to set up an account to see all the sightings (and post yours). We find the bar charts useful in the "explore section."       

https://ebird.org/home

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #72 on: Feb 01, 2021, 07:20 AM »
Birds have been really mowing the feed.

Rg
I'm going through 50 pounds of black oil seed in a week. It isn't the tree rats either. I discourage them from coming in.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #73 on: Feb 01, 2021, 01:32 PM »
Can we claim them as dependents on our taxes? :w00t:

Rg

iceman260

« Reply #74 on: Feb 02, 2021, 05:40 PM »
Not a blue bird came across this plowing snow today, pretty neat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.