FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Androscoggin River  (Read 3400 times)

Jack1972

Androscoggin River
« on: May 07, 2020, 01:29 PM »
Going camping with a couple fishing buddies & our wives Memorial Day Weekend at Timberland Campground in Shelburne.

Anyone know how the fishing is in that area of the river or what to target?  Kind of looks like the river is the only game in town for fishermen.

PIKEBAIT

Re: Androscoggin River
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 03:38 PM »
Hire a.driftwood guide for one day.
Dick

Steve H.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 03:53 PM »
Just east of there, in Gilead, Maine, the Cold River enters from the south.  That's probably the best known and most productive stretch in that area.  But there are fish all through there (just don't eat them).  If you don't want to get a Maine license, consider taking a drive north of Berlin, through the Thirteen Mile Woods, and up to Errol.  Good fishing up there too.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

jibbs

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 05:12 AM »
I second taking a ride up to the 13 mile woods stretch ..beautiful ..great place for a shoreline lunch with the family and great river to wade out in ..have fun ..
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Steve H.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 10:48 AM »
Oh, and as far as what species to target, it's trout country with mostly brookies and rainbows and an occasional brown trout and landlocked salmon.  Fallfish (chubs) are large and abundant and provide steady action when the trout aren't biting.  Smallmouth bass seem to have gotten a foothold though the ones I've caught are on the small side. 

If you go to up to Errol, be sure to check your reg book.  Much of that water up there, if not most, is fly fishing only.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Jack1972

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 11:55 AM »
Good info guys, thanks!

Jack1972

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 05:01 AM »
Steve, did you mention to not eat them because it's catch & release from the dam in Berlin to the ME border?  Leaning towards getting a one day ME license also where we can potentially keep something but not if there's contaminants I'm unaware of.

Glad my buddy double checked the regs before we left.  Single barbless hook on artificial lure or fly only.  Had to remove some trebles & snip some barbs last night.

deerhunter

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 08:24 AM »
the blackflies will be bothering ya

Steve H.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 08:53 AM »
Steve, did you mention to not eat them because it's catch & release from the dam in Berlin to the ME border?  Leaning towards getting a one day ME license also where we can potentially keep something but not if there's contaminants I'm unaware of.

Glad my buddy double checked the regs before we left.  Single barbless hook on artificial lure or fly only.  Had to remove some trebles & snip some barbs last night.

Yes, the Androscoggin below Berlin is laden with PCBs, heavy metals (mercury, etc) and other toxins.  I would assume this is true down as far as Bethel, Maine, and beyond.  Then further down there are more old mill cities that polluted the river for more than a century.  Not sure what the regs are in Maine, I only C&R fly fish up there anyway...everything on a single hook and goes back in the water.  Have fun!

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 09:54 AM »
I believe that the Androscoggin river is largely responsible for the creation of the Clean Water Act. It was famously polluted, at one time possibly the most toxic waterway in the United States.

Jack1972

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 10:27 AM »
the blackflies will be bothering ya

Oh I'm sure!

Most heavily polluted in the US, great!  Maybe all the toxins account for some lunker fish.  Fingers crossed.  Thanks for the info guys.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 10:51 AM »
If I remember correctly there was a 15 mile or so stretch that was so heavily polluted that bubblers were required constantly just to keep oxygen at a survivable level for the fish... If you have time, heading further north to the Magalloway and Umbagog would put you into some really tasty and clean smallies.

Steve H.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 11:24 AM »
Maybe all the toxins account for some lunker fish.  Fingers crossed.  Thanks for the info guys.

I wouldn't give credit to the toxins but there are certainly some lunker fish in that river.  Really, an awesome river to fish despite the non-consumption advisories. 

http://www.whitemountainflyfishing.com/trips/androscoggin

SafeMayflies

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 08:26 PM »
Eating fish from the Andro keeps the black flies and mosquitos from bothering you! Why not hit the Peabody or Moose? You might not find the lunker you are looking for but both have their perks. Peabody is clear and beautiful and the Moose is small and entertaining. Rainbows in Peabody, Brookies in Moose. I would also second Errol or 13 mile woods.

jibbs

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 03:52 AM »
I believe that the Androscoggin river is largely responsible for the creation of the Clean Water Act. It was famously polluted, at one time possibly the most toxic waterway in the United States.
and as a kid we swam in it everyday ..the smoke in the air back when I was kid was horrible as well  ..I wouldn’t eat fish from pontook down
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.