FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First keeper  (Read 5002 times)

Roccus

Re: First keeper
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2020, 05:04 PM »
Yes I did...funny , birds were diving,big explosions as the bass erupted on the herring, yet, boat after boat drove right over and bye those fish without taking a cast..

Stickbait

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 06:42 PM »
Very nice!! Way to go.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2020, 07:49 PM »
Congrats Joe! On those nice keepers and the bugs!
I'm guessing you put those trim tabs on the Princess Warrior?

Johnnh

« Reply #18 on: Jun 01, 2020, 03:51 AM »
With all that wind boat control must have been exciting.
I bet the corner at Plum Island was charming.

Congrats on a nice day

Roccus

« Reply #19 on: Jun 01, 2020, 06:53 AM »

Trim tabs , hydraulic jack plate, 4 blade stainless steel prop, everything  Ive done to that boat in our  40 ( this is season #40)years together has been to be ready for war and hope to have not need any of it.. the first thing I did to the boat when I got it was to raise the transom from 20 to 25"...  the wide flair on the bow is a huge asset.. the dead rise on that boat is sharper than the average modified Vee, she's a different breed of cat, and the reason that I'll never own another boat... it's the driest center console I've ever been on.. a lot of the pots were sanded in pretty bad, working under those conditions gave that Scotty electric hauler a good work out... if I was hauling by hand I would have probably run for the barn..

Roccus

« Reply #20 on: Jun 01, 2020, 07:08 AM »
Some one once told me that the princess was not a boat, it is a battle wagon, here is a picture from last fall, to the right is a 18 privateer, you can see the differance in how the bow is shaped,  I can stack all 10 pots on the boat... she's not a fast hull, but she's dry and stable.

HuntnFish603

« Reply #21 on: Jun 01, 2020, 09:31 AM »
Nice work men!!!!
Keep em comin.
Been Busy as hell with work lately...hoping to get out there soon.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #22 on: Jun 01, 2020, 02:02 PM »
Some one once told me that the princess was not a boat, it is a battle wagon, here is a picture from last fall, to the right is a 18 privateer, you can see the differance in how the bow is shaped,  I can stack all 10 pots on the boat... she's not a fast hull, but she's dry and stable.

The bow is beautifully shaped to shed water, Joe. She's really tricked out by a seaman who knows what he needs and how to get it done. Glad to hear that Scotty crab hauler's up to the task. You're the only one I know who uses one on this coast.
I should know, but what size Merc is pushing her? Good luck the rest of the season.

Roccus

« Reply #23 on: Jun 01, 2020, 07:57 PM »
The bow is beautifully shaped to shed water, Joe. She's really tricked out by a seaman who knows what he needs and how to get it done. Glad to hear that Scotty crab hauler's up to the task. You're the only one I know who uses one on this coast.
I read the reviews on the scotty hauler,and liked what I read, that thing is a power house, yet its light weight and stores easily..
The power plant is a 2004 merc 2+2..115 2 stroke
...probably the most mis understood engine merc ever made..when set up properly  it is as smooth as any 4 stroke, it doesn't smoke and sips fuel, especially at 2000 rpms and below

I should know, but what size Merc is pushing her? Good luck the rest of the season.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #24 on: Jun 02, 2020, 08:52 AM »

That's a great hull, obviously punches above her weight class! I'll take dry and stable over fast any day.

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #25 on: Jun 02, 2020, 01:54 PM »
Joe, I've owned several Merc's. Have never heard of the 2+2's.
Checked them out online. Very interesting and unique technology.
Sound simple and efficient!
Good to hear the Scotty hauler works well for you. I owned Scotty, electric downriggers. They also were simply made and very easy to work and work on if you even needed to. IMO, the best rigger on the market!

jibbs

« Reply #26 on: Jun 02, 2020, 02:26 PM »
Nice work men!!!!
Keep em comin.
Been Busy as hell with work lately...hoping to get out there soon.
J is ready for the winter ..hope all is well my friend
Chuck Norris sorts his clothes in three loads.....whites, colors, and blood stains

Roccus

« Reply #27 on: Jun 02, 2020, 05:24 PM »
Good to hear the Scotty hauler works well for you. I owned Scotty, electric downriggers. They also were simply made and very easy to work and work on if you even needed to. IMO, the best rigger on the market!
That Merc is so mis understood, but simple,its all about air fuel mixture, the lower 2 carbs are jetted to only allow enough fuel (premixed @ 100:1) for lubrication purposes, as the throttle plates are opened, a second progression hole begins to allow fuel to the bottom cylinders, an accelerator pump, gives a measured shot of fuel to those 2 cylinders to overcome lean conditions,  thos all happens around 1800 to 2000 rpms, setting all this up must be done in a specific order or it is all for not, ..during idle conditions,  excess fuel is shuttled to the top two cylinders via a series of check valves and scavenging lines..once understood, it's easy to work on, unfortunately, alot of wannabe mechanics did not understand how a 2 stroke works and had no clue how this engine runs.. I've fixed alot of these engines that others had given up on
On a note pertaining to this thread, I'm on the couch with my knee in an ice pack, fell off a ladder at work today when my foot got tangled.

No bueno!..not fishing tonight

Roccus

« Reply #28 on: Jun 02, 2020, 05:29 PM »

I figure if they can haul a 100 lb Dungeness pot out if 300' of water, it ought to work on a 40lb pot in 40' of water...I have it wired to a diuel voltage plug that also serves my 24 volt trolling motor

AquaAssassin

« Reply #29 on: Jun 02, 2020, 05:33 PM »
Heal quick brother!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.