FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: North Country Overwhelmed!!  (Read 4293 times)

PIKEBAIT

North Country Overwhelmed!!
« on: May 31, 2020, 04:35 PM »
Every boat launch is crowded with down country fishermen.
Even today's cold wind didn't deter them?  Most use 2"bobber and globs of worms.  All shoulder to shoulder as if they are safe from covid here.   I can only hope it is temporary Memorial Day leftover.  With my fingers crossed I head to Conn. lakes in a week.
Dick

filetandrelease

Re: North Country Overwhelmed!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 04:50 PM »
 I wonder if Conn will feel the same way about up staters  😉
 For a while there was lots of people from all over fishing steelhead and chasing walleyes , very busy this year here in upstate ny ,

AquaAssassin

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 04:53 PM »
Every boat launch is crowded with down country fishermen.
Even today's cold wind didn't deter them?  Most use 2"bobber and globs of worms.  All shoulder to shoulder as if they are safe from covid here.   I can only hope it is temporary Memorial Day leftover.  With my fingers crossed I head to Conn. lakes in a week.
Dick

Sorry to hear, sucks!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 06:50 PM »
Last weekend there were no less than 7 pontoon boats on First Conn. And the day I fished Francis, good thing I was early because when I came back to the launch I'm not sure you could put another trailer in that parking lot. Including 2 jet ski trailers. It's not just the current state of things, the North Country is exploding with people. Last year, Labor Day weekend, I couldn't launch my boat at the First Conn. I would have been there for an hour, there were 5 trailers in line. I went elsewhere.

But if I'm right, 4 wheeler trails are open next weekend and that's where most of the people will be I imagine.

steve01987

« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2020, 02:44 PM »
It's out of control.  Glad to see people are still fishing these days but sometimes wish the millenials should stick to staring at their phones.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2020, 07:42 AM »
Last weekend there were no less than 7 pontoon boats on First Conn. And the day I fished Francis, good thing I was early because when I came back to the launch I'm not sure you could put another trailer in that parking lot. Including 2 jet ski trailers. It's not just the current state of things, the North Country is exploding with people. Last year, Labor Day weekend, I couldn't launch my boat at the First Conn. I would have been there for an hour, there were 5 trailers in line. I went elsewhere.

But if I'm right, 4 wheeler trails are open next weekend and that's where most of the people will be I imagine.

Nice weather and the boat launches are busy....oh the horror.  But hey Dick let's but the Corona spin on it right?  News flash....boat launches and the north country were busy every year....even before Corona.  There's a good way to deal with it.  Stay home!

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2020, 07:43 AM »
I wonder if Conn will feel the same way about up staters  😉
 For a while there was lots of people from all over fishing steelhead and chasing walleyes , very busy this year here in upstate ny ,

Fred the sheer number of NYC folk that came into CT in early March was impossible to miss.  They were not fishing though.

mowbizz

« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2020, 01:30 PM »
Lol...does anyone think they could have ever kept the “magical” North Country to themselves? In this day and age that’s impossible...I’m glad I’m old and have many memories of the “way it used to be” but even then you could “see” what was coming. Bottom line, get in and out earlier than the masses and enjoy it your way.

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Jun 22, 2020, 02:01 PM »
Fred the sheer number of NYC folk that came into CT in early March was impossible to miss.  They were not fishing though.
Every late spring through summer Pulaski gets plenty of vacationers as it’s just a few miles from Lake Ontario and tags from all over , and during salmon season it’s a zoo         
  Nice to see Late fall to winter come 
Well with so many not working things have been a little nutty

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2020, 04:59 PM »
Lol...does anyone think they could have ever kept the “magical” North Country to themselves? In this day and age that’s impossible...I’m glad I’m old and have many memories of the “way it used to be” but even then you could “see” what was coming. Bottom line, get in and out earlier than the masses and enjoy it your way.

Mowbizz I am not that old (37) but even I can see the changes in fisheries from 10 years ago. 

The good news is all the venues that take some work or effort to figure out, generally do not see the thundering herd.

PIKEBAIT

« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2020, 05:08 PM »
 :(  OH, for the long past when I could drop two bits in the coffee can at the Lake Francis campground and sleep in the back of my pickup.  Alternative was to pay $7/night for one of Youngs cabins.  Closest restaurant was south of Pittsburg.  There were no party boats.  I fried my trout in butter because Butter Flavored Crisco hadn't been invented.  Breakfast donuts were the heavy "sinker"  donut made by the Canadians.
Black flies and mosquitos were bigger then but we had the original Old Woodsmen with creosote to keep them away.
I wish I had stored more pictures.
Dick

filetandrelease

« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2020, 05:19 PM »

Pike bait I still have some of the original old woodsman , smelled so good after fishing people were all ready practicing social distancing At the local gin mill lol and I still fry my trout in a pan with butter ,

mowbizz

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2020, 07:48 PM »
:(  OH, for the long past when I could drop two bits in the coffee can at the Lake Francis campground and sleep in the back of my pickup.  Alternative was to pay $7/night for one of Youngs cabins.  Closest restaurant was south of Pittsburg.  There were no party boats.  I fried my trout in butter because Butter Flavored Crisco hadn't been invented.  Breakfast donuts were the heavy "sinker"  donut made by the Canadians.
Black flies and mosquitos were bigger then but we had the original Old Woodsmen with creosote to keep them away.
Dick

;)

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2020, 08:06 PM »
Dick

Butter? Dick I used Salt Pork.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #14 on: Jun 23, 2020, 06:39 AM »
Butter? Dick I used Salt Pork.

You win that round!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com