FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Francis quality browns?  (Read 3583 times)

Steve H.

Re: Lake Francis quality browns?
« Reply #15 on: Jun 22, 2020, 10:39 AM »
Spent last Tuesday morning trolling Lake Francis.  Lots of rainbows hooked and a few brought to net, trolling shallow over very deep water.  In fact, the water was so calm we could see the trout chasing baitfish (and possibly taking emergers) on the surface in the middle of the lake.  In fact, our first fish came inadvertently to a flat-lined Mooselook before I could get it clipped onto the rigger.  From there, I don't think we set our baits deeper than five feet.  Rainbows were all around ~14" and no signs of browns or salmon.  Lots of fish rising but all indications are that they were all rainbows, possibly stocked this spring.

For what it's worth, we also tried 1st and 2nd lakes subsequent mornings with nothing to show.  Don't think we even had a bump.  Tried everything, from slow-trolling a spread of Flatfish to spoons, deep, shallow and in between.  Didn't mark much either or see surface activity even though all of our mornings were glassy calm.  Still a nice trip and the river gave up some to the long rod in the evenings. 

It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

zwiggles

Re: Lake Francis quality browns?
« Reply #16 on: Jun 22, 2020, 12:35 PM »
Nice report even if the other cold water fish eluded you. Last time I was up there years ago we got quite a few on the mini mooselooks too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.