FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New kayak  (Read 2121 times)

Johnnh

New kayak
« on: Jun 27, 2020, 05:39 PM »
I ordered a new Old Town Fisherman 120 PDL back on 3/8
Due to the virus there was a very long wait.
I picked it up this week and took it out on a small pond in Henniker today.
It was worth the wait. Extremely stable and very comfortable. Only got 1 small LM but it was more about a shake down cruise
Let the fun begin

AquaAssassin

Re: New kayak
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2020, 07:07 PM »
Congrats on your purchase!
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

mowbizz

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2020, 07:31 PM »
 Very nice! Enjoy the hell out if it!

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2020, 08:32 PM »
Good for you. The seat looks comfortable. Is it?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

meatandmetal

• meatandmetal on IS
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2020, 04:40 AM »
Looks like it is ready to go enjoy it.

Johnnh

« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2020, 05:00 AM »
Yes the seat is very comfortable. Old Town listened to the anglers and added some new designs that make the new sportsman 120 pdl  a real performer.

I am going to add my Garmin Stryker Plus 5 cv today and install the transducer.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28, 2020, 06:28 AM »
Yes the seat is very comfortable. Old Town listened to the anglers and added some new designs that make the new sportsman 120 pdl  a real performer.

I am going to add my Garmin Stryker Plus 5 cv today and install the transducer.

Awesome! Does it have a special port for adding the transducer? My Hobie does but unfortunately it's for a Lowrance and my fishfinder is a Humminbird. Had to get creative.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Johnnh

« Reply #7 on: Jun 28, 2020, 07:06 AM »
The kayak has a universal mounting plate. My garmin transducer transom mount bolt pattern fits the plate and the cable runs up through a dedicated scupper hole.  I will be drilling a hole to run the cable into the front hatch area and then another hole near the track to connect  the power and transducer to the garmin. The fish finder will be mounted on a RAM track mount.
I am using the hobie mounting kit for securing the cables and keeping the compartment somewhat dry.
There are some good videos on you tube that show this type of install.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Jun 28, 2020, 07:09 AM »
The kayak has a universal mounting plate. My garmin transducer transom mount bolt pattern fits the plate and the cable runs up through a dedicated scupper hole.  I will be drilling a hole to run the cable into the front hatch area and then another hole near the track to connect  the power and transducer to the garmin. The fish finder will be mounted on a RAM track mount.
I am using the hobie mounting kit for securing the cables and keeping the compartment somewhat dry.
There are some good videos on you tube that show this type of install.

Yes there are. It helped me with my Hobie, but I didn't have to drill and holes. Are you sure you have to drill holes?

The only thing I don't like about Hobie is the boats and accessories are way overpriced. At least I got mine for half price as it was a show model. Otherwise I would not have spent the $3500.00 regular price.

Johnnh

« Reply #9 on: Jun 28, 2020, 08:05 AM »
You don't have to drill holes.
Its more about wire management. If you don't drill holes, you either open the front hatch and run the cables over the edge and close the hatch - this leaves an opening to allow water in and wires to get tangled.

Another option is to coil up all the cable slack and stuff them in with the battery in a closure and put it on the deck.

I have multiple friends that have drilled holes and use the hobie kit with excellent results.

Note: I looked at the hobie and didn't like the  PRICE and the need to pull a lever to go into reverse. The Hobie is an excellent kayak and i took a couple out for a demo ride.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #10 on: Jun 28, 2020, 08:55 AM »
Nice rig, congrats!

Johnnh

« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2020, 09:55 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys.

I have a long list of narrow channels small ponds and backwaters that need some investigating

John

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:10 AM »
Nice rig indeed.  I own a bass boat but still want to add the same yak to my arsenal.  I enjoyed some videos of guys going offshore in the pdl. 

mudchuck

« Reply #13 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:18 AM »
I've been eyeballing an Old Town PDL for a few years now, they just keep getting better with the tweaks on each year class released.
Now that the wife is tasking an interest in kayaking (not fishing), I may be able to swing the deal to get be a PDL.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #14 on: Jun 29, 2020, 07:48 AM »
Yup, I want a kayak as well but I have told myself I can't get one until I sell my 14' boat that I hardly use. And that is the one I would probably want.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.