FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Feet  (Read 2965 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Feet
« on: Nov 18, 2017, 07:49 PM »
Feet are pretty amazing appendages. Mine are 67 years  old and owe me less than nothing for all the abuse I've afforded them over the years. Yet...they keep giving back every day by keeping me upright and moving. As outdoorsmen, we all have a collection of footwear ( at least I think we do) . I'm embarrassed by the number of pairs of shoes I own. Yet, they all have their purpose. Cold, wet, work...etc...etc...etc.

I walk an average of 25 miles a week just for exercise. That doesn't account for the additional miles of every day trundling around completing life's necessities. Today, I went in search of a good pair of outer coverings for my friends.......my feet. I've worn out my Nike sneakers after just a couple of years of daily activities and they're not waterproof or insulated.

Somehow, I can't see me in a gym walking on a treadmill at 6 am. The image makes me shudder. So....I Decided I needed a pair of a good pair of waterproof hiking shoes that I could wear well into the depths of winter to do my morning constitutional and keep me in the outdoors where the air is clear and cold. I have a pair of Danner boots that are basically bombproof, but, the soles are hard and they're not suited for mile walking.

I ended up with a pair of Keene hiking shoes that feel like gloves on my feet. They look very durable and we're priced in my budget. After a  couple hours of wear I think they'll be just fine. I'm going for a hike in the morning to find some big pine cones, I make suet cones for the birds from them.

I've come to love my morning walks. They make me feel alive.

I'll probably talk to my shoes.  Hopefully, I won't  be arrested for ludicrous behavior.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

Re: Feet
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2017, 08:23 PM »
I bought these last Saturday evening after a LOT of looking and fittings.
You know about my neuropathy Bob.
So they must fit well or I suffer terribly.
I really like these.
This past week my inside sales guy was on vacation causing me double duty.
The new shoes were a god send.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/footwear/mens-footwear/mens-hiking-boots-shoes/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104383080/merrell-reflex-mid-wp-hike-boot/1803678.uts?slotId=1

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2017, 03:15 AM »
I tried on several different Merrill shoes. They're really nice shoes, but they were too tight in the toes for me.  Here's what I went with.

It's the Flint steel toe work shoe. I wanted plenty of room for a thick sock if I needed it. My foot is quite wide....great for swimming  :-\, but EE widths are hard to come by. In addition to my morning exercise, I average 6 miles a day on the concrete floor. First thing I did in them was go grocery shopping at Wally World. They're pretty darned comfortable on the hard floor. Bought them at Herb Phillipson's ....on sale and with an additional $15 off special going on.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2017, 06:14 AM »
Been sporting Keen hikers for a few years. On my 3rd pair...   I'm on my feet from getting out of bed till I get back in.. I have big fat feets and Keen makes there shoes a little bigger so a size 13 wide fits good on my feets ....
.. ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2017, 12:41 PM »
The wide toes, and the available wide width was the reason I went with the model I did Bob.
Other Merrill shoes only come in normal width.
But these come in the wider shoe also.

tomturkey

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2017, 08:05 PM »
I have worn New Balance tennis shoes for years. They have a good instep and come in wide widths. I have seen Merrill shoes at the Wolverine clearance center in Rockford Mi. I liked their looks but I have never seen any wide widths. Seeing I can not walk that far hunting any more I just wear a pair of boots cut off of my last American made Lacrosse industrial waders.

Raque You should have had a custom made pair wooden shoes when you were living in Holland with that size feet. You would not have had to buy a boat.

TrentBill

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:59 AM »
I have worn New Balance tennis shoes for years. They have a good instep and come in wide widths.

Hmm, I might check out this shoe. Looks like a great recommednation.

tomturkey

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2017, 05:56 PM »

Make sure that you check out the arch in any New Balance shoe you are looking at. There are a lot of them any more that do not have a good arch in them. I am due for some new ones and have declined buying a few because of not much arch.

Luke Freeman

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2018, 03:20 AM »
I love New Balance, made in America, btw. Top quality sneakers!
This is what they say, all things in life are games. I'm all for virtual games. I wanna know how to win money with blackjack online. I don't know what it is.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2018, 04:38 AM »
Just an update on my Keen shoes. Every day we become better friends ;D They seem more comfortable each time I put them on. They have really good non slip traction on ice and snow and that's important for an old fart like me.

The other day I tried to run my toe over with a power stocker lift at "work" . It bounced right off.

They're not the prettiest shoe in the world. My Bride says they're butt ugly......but I don't expect to win any beauty contests anyway. Form follows function for me.

So I give them a big👍👍👍👍👍

Rg

slipperybob

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2018, 03:43 AM »
Keen footwear are awesome. My feet loves them.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2018, 03:32 AM »
I love New Balance, made in America, btw. Top quality sneakers!

SOME of New Balance shoes are made in New England.  About 25% to be more precise. All are made with imported materials. I really don't like it when big companies play the "Made in America" card while winking one eye.

I produce goods made in America. The trees grew here, they were harvested by me and cut up and turned by me....right here in my little wood shop. Now....that's "MADE IN AMERICA"  :flag: :flag: :flag:
Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.