FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: rude fisherman last night  (Read 7940 times)

lowaccord66

Re: rude fisherman last night
« Reply #30 on: Jul 15, 2020, 03:37 PM »
Those punks with those d**n lowered Hondas... upta no good!!

A 2003 accord 2 door can carry 2 10ft 1 piece surf rods and the requisite gear to destroy stripers...and still get 30mpg.  Low it was...but the only trouble I was getting into back in those days involved epic battles with stripers...and wellness visits from the mass state Police when I would sleep in the car with the AC on.

taxid

« Reply #31 on: Jul 15, 2020, 06:03 PM »
Speaking of wellness checks, way back in the 1976 my brother and I drove to Mass from Indiana after we finished high school before going to college in the fall. Being young and dumb we didn't make any reservations to sleep over on our way and figured we'd drive the 15 hours all the way through by switching off. When we did decide to rent a motel, all we saw were no vacancy signs. We got so tired in Mass, we almost went off the road once. Switching off was not effective. So we figured the logical thing to do was to sleep it off in a rest area right? So we pull in and pass out and the next thing we know we have a bright light in our eyes. Police Officer wanted to know what we were up to. Huh? We told him we were too tired to drive. He responded with, "Well you can't stay here. It's dangerous." I wanted to say what's more dangerous we sleep in our locked car or we drive off the road or head on into a car, but I didn't. Got back on the road and somehow didn't get into an accident.

Odd thing is I can make the entire trip by myself now with a cup of coffee and some donuts in the morning and not get tired.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #32 on: Jul 15, 2020, 11:38 PM »
Down at the cape they do it because of the drug issues down there.  In my cases they always told me it was a "concerned citizen" that called.  Likely someone in a nearby house.  Couldn't help it, would fish all night and then sleep during the day.

On the same subject and back on topic I always dealt with guys surfcasting that overused their headlamps...they'd shine them everywhere including right at me.  No concern for others.  Now I avoid spots the thundering herd heads.  What else can you do?

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #33 on: Jul 16, 2020, 06:49 AM »
Taxid, another year or so you should be able to do in just a few hours, as there will be no more police, no speed limit, hell we won't even have to paid for coffee and donuts, just steel them....h2l

taxid

« Reply #34 on: Jul 16, 2020, 03:07 PM »
Taxid, another year or so you should be able to do in just a few hours, as there will be no more police, no speed limit, hell we won't even have to paid for coffee and donuts, just steel them....h2l

Not worried. There will always be cops. And in case you misunderstood I don't have a beef against LEO's as I have two in the family. But there are some really bad actors out there that make it bad for the good cops.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

caught_the_fever

« Reply #35 on: Jul 22, 2020, 12:07 PM »
Also probably the most publicly defamed group of "police" out there.  Not sure how much you've followed your own warden service but they've been caught acting outside of the law many times.  Most notably illegally stopping out of staters on 95 if they suspected they had hunted in the state.  The list goes on and on, to a point where when your local news outlets investigated their freedom of information act were ignored.  Its quite interesting how far their overreach has stretched.  So far that someone that lives there thinks its common place for officers to violate their civil rights.  Do they do it, yes they do.  I've had it done to me.  Doesn't mean it's right and those types of behaviors are why police everywhere aren't being seen in the best light.

Iowa - sorry to hear you were treated in that manner.  I can't get into the legality of specific stops, nor would I ever defend an unlawful act by an LEO as it's my opinion they need to be held to the highest standards to maintain rule of law (criminals enforcing law just doesn't work).  Bad apples must be removed, particularly those who may issue questionable orders. 

I must also be clear that I do not intend to generalize about groups but I also think it is a fair statement that some don't treat public or anothers' property as they may their own.  I've witnessed on many occasions visitors littering, including recently where a popular local swimming hole was shut down because of significant abuse - no one observed contributing to the issue this past weekend was local, and seen a few other violations.  If I've seen it as frequently as I have, I can't imagine how often the LEO's have.  Perhaps this skews their enforcement, perhaps it's a common knowledge everywhere that those who don't live in close proximity are more likely to simply pay the fine vs. fight it in court.  I have an interesting ticket on my record from Springfield, MA area.

The above stated, the interactions I've had with Maine wardens have been positive.  I experienced a situation that could have taken a turn for the worse with a friend but the officer was very reasonable and understanding.  We had a great conversation and all parties continued with our day afterwards - I also understand had he come off several bad calls, it may have been a different exchange.

But I believe those who share the common goal of keeping our resources in good shape to be enjoyed for the future and acknowledge an officer is only trying to carry out his responsibilities (in most circumstances) will have an acceptable interaction. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #36 on: Jul 22, 2020, 01:20 PM »
Iowa - sorry to hear you were treated in that manner.  I can't get into the legality of specific stops, nor would I ever defend an unlawful act by an LEO as it's my opinion they need to be held to the highest standards to maintain rule of law (criminals enforcing law just doesn't work).  Bad apples must be removed, particularly those who may issue questionable orders. 

I must also be clear that I do not intend to generalize about groups but I also think it is a fair statement that some don't treat public or anothers' property as they may their own.  I've witnessed on many occasions visitors littering, including recently where a popular local swimming hole was shut down because of significant abuse - no one observed contributing to the issue this past weekend was local, and seen a few other violations.  If I've seen it as frequently as I have, I can't imagine how often the LEO's have.  Perhaps this skews their enforcement, perhaps it's a common knowledge everywhere that those who don't live in close proximity are more likely to simply pay the fine vs. fight it in court.  I have an interesting ticket on my record from Springfield, MA area.

The above stated, the interactions I've had with Maine wardens have been positive.  I experienced a situation that could have taken a turn for the worse with a friend but the officer was very reasonable and understanding.  We had a great conversation and all parties continued with our day afterwards - I also understand had he come off several bad calls, it may have been a different exchange.

But I believe those who share the common goal of keeping our resources in good shape to be enjoyed for the future and acknowledge an officer is only trying to carry out his responsibilities (in most circumstances) will have an acceptable interaction. 

Much appreciate your thoughts on this.  I had an accident not long ago...I lost my truck at a boat ramp....long story but I was treated very well by the local epo.  I actually just met up with her last week.  She stopped by to get her K9 hoody she lent me as I was pulled under when I lost my truck and was very wet.  So I'm with you about not generalizing.  She didn't give me any tickets, she didn't go nuts checking all my paperwork and was generally concerned about my well being.

filetandrelease

« Reply #37 on: Jul 22, 2020, 03:01 PM »
 :
 I was out trolling last week With the wife , I never had to stop , ask to hold up our licenses , hold fish up , and asked to see life jackets , , I did get poked 😉, that’s all the fish you’ve caught  lol , they were polite and professional , in all my years I’ve only have had a couple experiences that were less than pleasant, 1 was just rude and the other I helped out a fellow fisherman, that was going to get a wrongful ticket , as rules in the salmon river differ from other places , when it comes to trout ,  both situations turnEd  out on the positive Side

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #38 on: Jul 22, 2020, 03:45 PM »

Richard Cranium has relatives Every where

Every body of water in every state.
It's like they were "planted" indiscriminately across the country without any warning or indication that they were there!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

old man river

« Reply #39 on: Jul 26, 2020, 11:14 AM »

you haven't been ice fishing ? Now there is a bunch of them !
they come in ALL shapes and sizes , all seasons have them      :o

ralph

Badbrad2186

« Reply #40 on: Jul 26, 2020, 12:11 PM »
you haven't been ice fishing ? Now there is a bunch of them !
they come in ALL shapes and sizes , all seasons have them      :o

They only crowd me out once a season cause the first time I catch a fish and your nuts is tabgled with mine I'm cutting your line and keeping your tackle if I can. Couple years back my partner and I been fishing same spot every weekend always the first ones there. Anyways we get set up about an hour before day light get in the shack and and start fishing about 20 minutes before daylight I open the door and I can see 6 or 7 flash lights headed our way. I tell him this is about to get interesting. First guy proceeds to come and set up so close there shack is touching ours I come out ask them do you have to fish right on top of us guy says I didn't know you own the lake. I said well I don't own the lake but I do own this chain saw right here and I'm about to cut you out of this area. He says we'll get use to it the rest of those people you see coming this way are coming to fish right here to we know you guys have been doing well you have been here every weekend for the last month and half. I said well I guess your all going for a swim then cause I'll cut everyone of you a nice piece of ice out. They decided to move and all his Yahoo buddies moved as well about 30 yards away. We limited out in 2 hours they couldn't catch a perch over 5 inches. Since then no one seems to come near us anymore

caught_the_fever

« Reply #41 on: Jul 29, 2020, 04:16 PM »
Much appreciate your thoughts on this.  I had an accident not long ago...I lost my truck at a boat ramp....long story but I was treated very well by the local epo.  I actually just met up with her last week.  She stopped by to get her K9 hoody she lent me as I was pulled under when I lost my truck and was very wet.  So I'm with you about not generalizing.  She didn't give me any tickets, she didn't go nuts checking all my paperwork and was generally concerned about my well being.

Glad to hear, Iowa.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #42 on: Jul 31, 2020, 02:04 PM »

Yikes! I want to hear that story sometime!

I've never had a bad experience either. I have always found if you give respect you will get it back.

lowaccord66

« Reply #43 on: Aug 13, 2020, 09:09 AM »
Yikes! I want to hear that story sometime!

I've never had a bad experience either. I have always found if you give respect you will get it back.

It sucked.  I got recked.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.