FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Davis Happy Troller - Trolling Plate  (Read 2642 times)

bassin212

Davis Happy Troller - Trolling Plate
« on: Aug 01, 2020, 06:35 PM »
Really interested in this trolling plate because it locks in the up position. This would be ideal as I would like to be able to slowly put my boat in reverse if need be and not have to worry about my prop eating the plate, like the spring loaded plates that kick up when you're on plane but stay down when you're going slow. Also, if I want to install a trolling plate, will I have to remove my Hydrofoil? thanks for any feedback you can provide!

bassin212

Re: Davis Happy Troller - Trolling Plate
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2020, 08:32 AM »
just the pic lol

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2020, 08:44 AM »
I used a few different trolling plates way back in the early \80’s.  Had 2 Happy Trollers, one of which I ended up bending back flat and added some stainless angles to reinforce it after I forgot to trip it and the motor bent it.
The motor that bent it was a 55hp Evinrude.
So it doesn’t take much to bend one when you forget to trip the lock.
I did crack a cavitation plate too.  I forget if it was with a Happy Troller.
Bottom line, I try to steer people toward a kicker.
Why put all those hrs on your main motor?
You probably don’t like what I’m posting and others use trolling plates with success.
Me, I don’t like them.

YMMV

Good luck.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2020, 08:57 AM »
My experience with a trolling plate was they really make boat control a bear when the wind and waves come up. If you need to slow down, put buckets off your front cleats on either side. Even better were specific trolling bags which are basically a drift sock. They don't bounce off your hull when the waves and wind come up. You tie them to the front and rear cleats, so the bag is next to your bow and the line off the rear of the bag going to the rear cleat. When you want to scoot you simply grab the line attached to the rear cleat and back of the bag and empty it. Way easier than pulling up buckets and they store well on board unlike buckets. And if you use two bags, unlike a trolling plate, they greatly improve how your boat drives. You ever get sick and tired of constantly steering the boat while trolling? Like if you let go of the wheel you will spin in a circle in about 6 seconds if you don't counter steer back? Well a trolling plate makes that way worse. And trolling bags make it way better because they slow down the boat totally, not only forward speed but any steering input.

Amish Outfitters sells them is packs of two. In my experience, they are wayyyyyyy better than trolling plates as far as boat control is concerned.
https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

But Mac is right about everything he said... a kicker is the way to go.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2020, 09:01 AM »
Well said Mac and Jethro! Bingo...

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2020, 09:38 AM »

Agreed
When I had my 16’er I used drift control socks , they worked well , now I just use them for drift jigging ,

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2020, 06:55 AM »
I used a few different trolling plates way back in the early \80’s.  Had 2 Happy Trollers, one of which I ended up bending back flat and added some stainless angles to reinforce it after I forgot to trip it and the motor bent it.
The motor that bent it was a 55hp Evinrude.
So it doesn’t take much to bend one when you forget to trip the lock.
I did crack a cavitation plate too.  I forget if it was with a Happy Troller.
Bottom line, I try to steer people toward a kicker.
Why put all those hrs on your main motor?
You probably don’t like what I’m posting and others use trolling plates with success.
Me, I don’t like them.

YMMV

Good luck.

Im with you Mac but he can troll fine with his main.  Skip the plate and drop a 36" drift sock off the bow cleat if you have one.  That works well.

Ya Fred those socks are under utilized by many anglers.  I used to rock 2 36"ers one off the bow and stern and that would allow me to drift really slowly.

mcully

« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2020, 01:18 PM »
fishing Oneida is drift bag essential equipment for jigging and a cheap way to slow your troll
My trolling is now with the bow mount electric and able to control speed much better than a plate trying to feather the throttle just right.
I still trim the big motor up and down to fine tune though

bassin212

« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2020, 11:29 AM »
thanks for the feedback! looks like the bags are worth a shot, they don't seem overly expensive either.

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2020, 02:04 PM »
 Buy good bags and they will last for years and years
Also make sure they have a dump strap,
 Make your own drift sock harnesses ,2  for less than $10.00 , 4 caribiners or just 2 and sew the other end to the bags loop  , nylon strap and a Part of a pool noodle for Flotation

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.