FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gill fishing 10-8-19  (Read 1647 times)

princecraft

Gill fishing 10-8-19
« on: Oct 08, 2019, 05:48 PM »
Two of us caught these 50 gills on crickets fishing in 25-28 fow.  Fishing bottom to about 5 feet off bottom.  Three of them were just a hair shy of 10 inches and had several 9+ inches.

RoeBoat

Re: Gill fishing 10-8-19
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2019, 08:19 PM »
Beautiful mess of gills, hard to beat those on the table!

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2019, 08:03 AM »
Looks like the majority of those are females.
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2019, 08:26 AM »
A lot of people missing out on good bluegill fishing this time of year. Just got in the biggest pure strain bluegill I have ever taken in caught in Michigan the other day. 12 1/2 inches and was probably a pound and half when it was caught. It weighed 1 lb. 6 1/2 oz. after being on ice for a full 24 hours.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

princecraft

« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2019, 09:32 AM »
A lot of people missing out on good bluegill fishing this time of year. Just got in the biggest pure strain bluegill I have ever taken in caught in Michigan the other day. 12 1/2 inches and was probably a pound and half when it was caught. It weighed 1 lb. 6 1/2 oz. after being on ice for a full 24 hours.

That is a beautiful gill.  Will make a nice mount.

princecraft

« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2019, 09:33 AM »
Looks like the majority of those are femalesTeach

Exactly how do you determine whether male or female.  I have trouble identifying them.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2019, 12:07 PM »
Exactly how do you determine whether male or female.  I have trouble identifying them.

Easiest is during spawing season when the males are darker with a bright orange breast and dark scale edges emanating from above the eyes on the upper back, but the mature females always have shorter ear tabs than the males. About the same in length and width. Mature males tend to have an ear tab that is longer than wide.

Bar pattern is more delicate and broken up on female bluegill.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2019, 12:14 PM »
That is a beautiful gill.  Will make a nice mount.

Yes it will. The man is a catholic priest that is married and has kids. Yes you read that right. He's a Catholic priest not Roman Catholic priest. Orthodox I think? He told me that not allowing priests to get married in the Catholic Church is a relatively new thing vs. how long the Catholic Church has been in existence. Did not know that even as a Catholic!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.