FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: BEST BAIT FOR BLUES???  (Read 16824 times)

jmasotto

BEST BAIT FOR BLUES???
« on: Jun 07, 2004, 10:17 PM »
I OFTEN  FISH AT A LOCAL PARK WHEN I CANT GET OUT TO THE DAM.  EARLIER THIS SPRING THEY WERE HITTING REAL GOOD ON CORN AND HOTDOG, BUT NOW ONLY FLIES WITH A SMALL SPINNER BLADE WILL WORK .  ANY TIPS ON MY CHOICE OF BAIT??? ???

backwoodswalker

Re: BEST BAIT FOR BLUES???
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2004, 01:02 PM »
Wow never used hot dog for gills. ??? My favorite bait is leeches when I can get them ;D Have great success with crickets too. ;D I think these little boogers will bite on about everything imaginable ??? Wish there were more good bluegill lakes in the U.P though, Really enjoy catching and eating them. ;D ;D

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2004, 06:14 PM »
Gills generally aren't fussy, but certain things work better than others.
For natural baits, I like worms and crickets best, but grasshoppers, most bugs, and waxies, mealies, or maggots. Use them fished under a bobber usually with lighter line like 4 or 6 pound test.
My favorite lures for strictly bluegill fishing are very small tubes, grubs, and also flies. The smallest fly popper is awesome. For the giant gills in my secret lake, smaller bass cranks or lipless ones, and also full sized bass poppers are the ticket.
The hard thing with bluegills are finding ones with any size. You will find the biggest ones in places with tons of bass, trout, and pike to keep them under control. A one pound gill is the equivalent in my mind to a 10 pound bass or a 15 - 20 pound trout.

Tyler

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2004, 03:27 PM »
mack is exactly right, pistol pete flies work well also.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #4 on: Jul 04, 2004, 09:01 AM »
Bluegills aren't that particular in meal selection.  IMO you can't beat a plain old worm for gills.  The biggest challenge this time of year is finding the bigger ones after they spawn and move deep.  It is not uncommon to find bigger gills in 15-30fow after they spawn and water temps rise.  Look for them to suspend also, last week we got into them while walleye fishing finding them 12-15' down over 22-30fow.  You've got to experiment and find the fish and what works best.  Try bottom fishing with a lindy rig or floating jighead, for suspended fish a slip bobber is hard to beat unless you are in a boat where you can vertical jig them.  Good luck!!

May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

bigdave1018

« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2004, 07:41 AM »
my best bait for spring spawning gills? fathead minnows on a lead head jig in size 1/64 or smaller. them big copper humpies cant resist them and its like throwing a jelly bean into a room full of kids. fast action and oooooooo they eat so well!!!!!!!!!!

jmasotto

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2004, 09:35 PM »
thank you too all who replied on this thread. I wiil test your idea's and post back!
In the meantime...

;) Good Fishin'

genz_man

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2004, 08:18 PM »
HERE IS ONE MORE FOR YA. 8) Try glow ice jigs under a bobber tipped with waxies or spikes. The gills will hammer'm. I have found that this is a great tactic year round in any kind of weather.............They ain't just for hardwater season. ;D 

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2004, 10:07 PM »
who told you my secret G man? >:(   ;)

FishDeepCreek

• Happiness Is A Jumbo Panfish!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2004, 06:54 PM »
One of the best bait I use for gills in clearer lakes is a 1" smoke twister tail grub in a lightweight (1/32 or 1/16 oz.) Lead head. Also chartruese. These bait realy work magic during summer month when there on the nests. Also I use 1/32 or 1/16 hand tied (jigs that I mold, and make myself) marabou jigs. We pick up gills on walleye jigs alot on drifts, esp lures tipped with nightcrawlers, and leeches. Weve even picked them up on walleye crawler harness during a troll!

buzz bait

• save the walleyes
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2004, 09:22 AM »
a few times that i fished for bass on owasco and cayuga i got into real big not  a lot of gills useing size 11 rapalas :o i don't know if they hit them out of hunger or just protecting thier nests .that was in june around the time they spawn . but i did a few earlier this month ??? you just never know .

archbishop

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2005, 08:42 AM »
HERE IS ONE MORE FOR YA. 8) Try glow ice jigs under a bobber tipped with waxies or spikes. The gills will hammer'm. I have found that this is a great tactic year round in any kind of weather.............They ain't just for hardwater season. ;D 
my kids taught me that one last year my daughter wanted a jig she could make glow cause she seen them on t.v. i told her they were for ice fishing and she insisted so i put one on and she was nailing them itll make me think twice before i think my kids have a stupid idea ???

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2005, 10:50 PM »
Numbers of gills= lively nightcrawlers. Big Gills= smaller bass cranks such as risto raps, deep tiny ns, or ultra light rebel creatures. For fun= smaller poppers like the rebel crickhopper popper. Even better, cast a weightless live grasshopper.

Tyler

gillmaniac

• I Don't Go Fishing, I Go Catching!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2005, 04:14 PM »
I like to use white Road Runners in weeds and i crush the monster gills.
I am a maniac for gills!!!!

PERCH INC.

• Monster Perch Rulz!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2005, 04:26 PM »
Try a cotton candy colored tube jig the spring gills love them!!
Pass it on !! "Hunting and Fishing"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.