FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Deep Trolling Tactics?  (Read 1436 times)

Koffee Kat

Deep Trolling Tactics?
« on: Jun 24, 2008, 09:30 AM »
Heading into Northern BC in a week & a half & camping at an extremely deep lake (Moberly Lake).  Anyone got some pointers about trolling into the deep?  The lake's mean depth is 70', but it gets up to 125'.  I'll be in a 14' foot canoe, so I won't be using a down-rigger....  Lots of char in this one - lakers, dollys & grayling - also some pike & whitefish...  I went out & picked up some over-sized spoons & some willow-leaf flashers.  Just have to figure out how to get them DOWN, Down, down & not lose line sensitivity.  Let me know your thoughts, also let me know if I should be picking up something else besides spoons.  Also what colors are hot for below 50'.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
Re: Deep Trolling Tactics?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2008, 09:41 AM »
try these. they go to 80ft.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

BottomDweller

• team wyoming
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2008, 11:27 AM »
without downriggers, the next best thing, in my opinion, is lead-core.  you'll need a big baitcaster reel by shimano, okuma, penn, etc., and fill it with a hundred yards or so of low-diameter backing first, like spider-wire, and then with as much colored lead-core as you can fit on.  then i tie a barrel swivel on the end, attach about 8 ft of 20lb fluorocarbon leader, and use that set-up to troll , minnows, flatfish, or flashers.  i can sometimes make it down to about 80 ft.  make sure you're only going about 1.5 mph or less with the flatfish.  good luck, & bring back pictures.
--~~as long as it's just a slow leak... i'm not worried~~--

--~~softwater pirates afloat on wyoming's high seas~~--

travisj

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2008, 01:07 AM »
I didn't realize you could get lines with a lead core. Probably because I have never really been concerned with deep water trolling. I will have to see what the line looks like next time I am at a tackle shop. Sounds interesting.

Rumtan

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2008, 04:10 PM »
Look for it in the fly fishing section of the fishin holes gear.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.