FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 625379 times)

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #3300 on: Mar 19, 2018, 04:30 PM »
Trying to learn the techniques with the hooks and materials I have on hand.  That vise is like a time machine, I sit down in front of it for ten minutes and get up 3 hours into the future. 

Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3301 on: Mar 19, 2018, 04:34 PM »

These are the mini mop tails I use on my micro jigs 1/64 oz down to 1/100 oz little guy got his first steelies on one 1/80 oz  jig 4 lbnline...the above pic they are tied on a size 12 and 14 nymph scud hook with a tungsten bead..I used these ice fishing also and had very good luck..all dollar stores and colors sell the micro fiber mops they work seem to work well in Tennessee also..I now have them in a baitshop down there thanks to a friend a mine..bows love them and crappie..

i am going to tie up some on micro jigs.  Sounds interesting. Geo.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3302 on: Mar 19, 2018, 04:59 PM »
Dubbing for a body is really buggy looking works great I found the mini tails at Ollie's steering wheel covers or mirror covers......nice ties size.designs on them tails look like a meal worm

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3303 on: Mar 19, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Dubbing for a body is really buggy looking works great I found the mini tails at Ollie's steering wheel covers or mirror covers......nice ties size.designs on them tails look like a meal worm
So i'm guessing that the tails are smaller than on my  mop fly tails.    I see a trip to Johnson city Ollie's  in the near future. G.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3304 on: Mar 19, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Trying to learn the techniques with the hooks and materials I have on hand.  That vise is like a time machine, I sit down in front of it for ten minutes and get up 3 hours into the future. 

My suggestion now, is to concentrate on a pattern. A wooly bugger is what I would start with. Or maybe a Hare's ear nymph. Two staples in a fly fisher's box with many basic techniques to master.

Free tying is always fun, but mastering time tested flies helps develop your skills. Try to tie 10 of each pattern. It fills your fly box and allows for improvement.

Just an old farts $.02😊

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3305 on: Mar 19, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Hares ear nymph is a must for all fly boxes just my 2 cents to make it 4 cents

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3306 on: Mar 19, 2018, 06:12 PM »
Yes geo they are smaller there about the size of a real spike..

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3307 on: Mar 19, 2018, 07:17 PM »
My suggestion now, is to concentrate on a pattern. A wooly bugger is what I would start with. Or maybe a Hare's ear nymph. Two staples in a fly fisher's box with many basic techniques to master.

Free tying is always fun, but mastering time tested flies helps develop your skills. Try to tie 10 of each pattern. It fills your fly box and allows for improvement.

Just an old farts $.02😊

Rg

Sounds like good advice.  I'll give them a try next.

bigal409

« Reply #3308 on: Mar 19, 2018, 08:57 PM »
So i'm guessing that the tails are smaller than on my  mop fly tails.    I see a trip to Johnson city Ollie's  in the near future. G.
Geo. That's the Ollie's where I got mine. Auto department.  :laugh:

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3309 on: Mar 20, 2018, 06:27 AM »
Geo. That's the Ollie's where I got mine. Auto department.  :laugh:
oK thanks.  I will post   when I get them done.  I jusst ordered the jigs/ G.

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #3310 on: Mar 20, 2018, 11:32 AM »
My goto for sure. Mostly start the day and end the day with a size 14 march brown or hares ear nymph.  Hasn't failed me yet. G.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #3311 on: Mar 21, 2018, 02:07 PM »
A couple dozen of each color.  Won't win prizes but the technique is coming along......

Swamp Rat

« Reply #3312 on: Mar 21, 2018, 04:07 PM »
Nice ties everyone 8), keep em coming, season is almost upon us. Just tied a dozen gold ribbed hare's ear nymphs in size 12 and 14.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #3313 on: Mar 21, 2018, 04:09 PM »
Doesn't have to win a prize very buggy looking trout like them that way nice ties

boondox

« Reply #3314 on: Mar 21, 2018, 04:42 PM »
Swamp rat like your tie you can get a line on it cause you can see the hook eye!!

At big guy  Not every one of my tie come out perfect and your right buggness does help.. just depends on who's doing the proportions of the ties like tails of nymph I make shank length that's from stright above the barb to the back of yhe eye I take my measurements off the hook it self mostly I use 2x long nymph hooks..  but some time three and it changes the proportions a tad..  but for sure don't let the looks of your flies discourse you..  got to remember the person poking fun has once had flies that looked like that too..  or never tried ting a size 26 hummpy or royal coachman.  So don't let there ridiculous poking fun stop you ever..  just keep at..  it it's like practice once done enough it becomes perfect.. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.