FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: to stack or not to stack??  (Read 2334 times)

meadowpikeman

to stack or not to stack??
« on: Jul 14, 2006, 05:59 PM »
Just picked up a couple downriggers , never have done it personally but have read a bit. Normally i'll be running only one line off each rigger but if we ever have a third along (i'm sure i will at some point), what should i know for stacking?? should the top line be quite a bit shorter, like the bottom line 50ft off the ball and the stacked line 30ft?or does this even matter? i picked up a cable clamp powergrip release for this and figure i'll run one line off the ball and another 10 ft up or so (this is for lakers only). how much of a problem is tangling?? I'm assumming if a fish hits the bottom line that the stacked/top line needs to be brought in quickly to avoid a big mess?? but what about a fish hitting the stacked line will it normally tangle the bottom line at all?? thanks for everyones help in advance can't wait to get out there and harrass those lakers now.
"Fame doesn't take away the pain, it just pays the bills. You end up on alcohol and Pills"-Fred Eaglesmith

Fishingking

Re: to stack or not to stack??
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2006, 06:02 PM »
i dont know much about stacking but when you hook a fish and it trips the release the fish comes  up in the water colomn quicky therefore if the bottom one trips you will probably get a mess pretty quickly  I have always had better luck squeezing in a couple of leadlines :)
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2006, 02:35 PM »
I will stack riggers when I'm fishing deeper than 40 fow.  If you are any shallower, it is not worth it. 

Thestanimal

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2006, 08:51 PM »
I haven't had any problems with stacking lines and tangles.  i will typically spread lines out in 10 foot intervals.  for example I will have The port side with a line at 60 feet and another at 50 feet.  on the starboard side i will stack at 40 and 30 feet.  that way my lines are covering a specific depth well and reducing the risk of tangles.  Once I have found fish to be in a productive zone I will adjust the other lines.  Seems pretty basic but it works.
"Hope is the last thing a person does before they are defeated"  -Henry Rollins

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.