FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: brand new to trolling  (Read 2572 times)

nylineman

brand new to trolling
« on: Aug 21, 2006, 05:05 PM »
Need a little help..... :-[ im brand new to downriggers and trolling!!! i have a set of cannon sport downriggers, if im marking fish at 50ft where should i set my downriggers at??? and how many feet of line should i have out from the ball??? i have been running 100ft out, is this okay? i have been trying to get into some lakers, but can't seem to manage i have thrown everything at them but the tackle box!  :D thanks for the help
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
Re: brand new to trolling
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2006, 09:41 PM »
nylineman,

For the fish down 50ft. I would recommend putting the rigger 3-5 foot above the fish (fish normally look up to feed).   If you are fishing lakers, you will want to troll slow (less than 2.0 mph.).  My rule of thumb is 5 - 50 foot down run leads 60 - 100 back.  Any deeper, you can run them 10 - 50 foot.  Try trolling Sutton spoons.  They are made in Naples NY.  What body of water are you fishing? 

nylineman

Re: brand new to trolling
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2006, 09:56 PM »
nylineman,

For the fish down 50ft. I would recommend putting the rigger 3-5 foot above the fish (fish normally look up to feed).   If you are fishing lakers, you will want to troll slow (less than 2.0 mph.).  My rule of thumb is 5 - 50 foot down run leads 60 - 100 back.  Any deeper, you can run them 10 - 50 foot.  Try trolling Sutton spoons.  They are made in Naples NY.  What body of water are you fishing? 

Gambell----thanks for the info, i will get some of those spoons and give them a try. I pm'd u where the body of water im fishing is. thanks again
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.