FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bigred's electic knife boneless fillet method  (Read 9808 times)

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
Bigred's electic knife boneless fillet method
« on: Jun 16, 2005, 10:41 PM »
I have been experimenting with different ways of cleaning fish.  My interest is to get the fish filleted in the shortest period of time, while at the same time losing no meat over the conventional knife method.  I think i have found a way to do it.

I'm using an average walleye for the pics (17")

I start with the fish on the fillet board, and i cut straight down to the spine (but not through it) right behind the pectoral fin, and at the base of the skull

I then turn the knife to parallel the spine, and allow the knife to ride along the spine while putting enough pressure on the knife to put a bend in the blades.  I follow all the way down to the caudel fin (tail), leaving a very small margin of skin still attached.

Using the small portion of skin remaining on the body to hold the fillet, i hold on to the fish, and ride the knife against the skin, seperating it from the skin.

While i am doing that, i am again putting pressure on the blade, enough to put quite a bend in it.

Once the skin is seperated, the ribs remain.  I simply ride the knife against the ribs to remove them cleanly from the flesh.

Once you are done, there shouldn't be any meat left on the fish

trapperdirk

Re: Bigred's electic knife boneless fillet method
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2005, 11:17 PM »
Great post Bigred . I've never tried an electric knife yet but your doing a great job of convincing me . ;D

TD
The bush is not a passion , it's in my soul.

TD

TGF

• MFF Mod Team
  • I still got my eye on you guys...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2005, 11:44 PM »
Electric knives work great. Excellent job there big red.

Deposit

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2005, 04:36 AM »
I don't have an electric knife yet but this just may convince me. Good post

devil-man

« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2005, 04:59 AM »
Great series of pics, BigRed.
You can call me old-fashioned, but my Rapala blade is fast enough for me.

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2005, 07:46 AM »
I fillet my eyes the same way BigRed, but I also like the Rapala knife like devil-man.  I would like to try the electric sometime tho, or watch someone do it.  How does it work on th cheek meat?! ;D
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

bigredfishing

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2005, 12:08 PM »
  How does it work on th cheek meat?! ;D

i dont like that chewy stuff! ;D

I had been using my rapala knife, but the electric knife saves me at least 10 maybe 15 minutes when cleaning a limit of eyes, and that time saved doesnt cost me any meat, so its a win win situation!

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2005, 12:49 PM »
Cool.  I am going to look into one then.  Usually when I go fishing with others, I end up filleting everybodies fish.  I think wally world has them in the fishin' section. 
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

bigredfishing

« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2005, 01:22 PM »
if you get one, i would not suggest a cordless model.  The one that i have has the battery in front of the grip, and that leaves the unit completely off balance, and its pretty much worthless.  I just sits in its case, while i use the old black and decker unit.

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2005, 01:40 PM »
thanks for the info bigred

bussman

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2005, 02:08 PM »
Great tutorial Bigred. That is exactly how I do all my fish from Eyes to Pumpkinseed. The more you do it the better you get.

dwaytkus

• Hudson Falls, NY
« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2005, 08:03 PM »
Big Red I do it the same way but I have learned a little tip that gets a little more meat and only takes a extra 10 seconds.  My first step is cutting off the fins on the top of the fish going from the direction of tail to gill.  This gets more of the meat on the top of the back , especially on small fish such as gills and  perch.
Oh Lord,
There he is.
Feels like a big one.
Please don’t let me lose him.
I’ve never caught one this big before.
I’ll try not to horse him.
And if I land him I promise to release him
And make a graphite replica...
If my wife says it’s okay.
Thank you for the Rapalas.
Amen.

reubenpa

« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2005, 09:57 PM »
awesome lance, I have been wanting to post pics like that but never got around to it.  I use a rapala electric knife and it saves me hours in the panfish filleting department.  And like you said you don't have to waste any meat.  They are slick... thanks for posting that
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

bigredfishing

« Reply #13 on: Jun 17, 2005, 11:51 PM »
Thanks guys!!

Big Red I do it the same way but I have learned a little tip that gets a little more meat and only takes a extra 10 seconds.  My first step is cutting off the fins on the top of the fish going from the direction of tail to gill.  This gets more of the meat on the top of the back , especially on small fish such as gills and  perch.

I like the idea and am going to have to try that the next time i get some fish. thanks

crappie66

• BOILER UP
« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2005, 02:30 AM »
Great series of pics, BigRed.
You can call me old-fashioned, but my Rapala blade is fast enough for me.

I am with you on this one.  I have the 4 inch blade for crappie and bluegill, and the 6 inch blade for everything else.  I don't see how an electric knife would save any time or meat.   I give my knife a few swipes across the sharpening stone before each use, and it stays pretty sharp, the knife goes through the fish like a hot knife through butter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.