FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Don't forget about your spikes  (Read 1324 times)

franklin fisher

Don't forget about your spikes
« on: Mar 27, 2020, 02:42 PM »
  I was sitting here at home in isolation and waiting for the water I want to fish to open up.  Thinking about a game plan as soon as I saw a green light. I thought to myself, "I wonder if those spikes in the fridge are still okay?"  Then I got thinking that the fridge had gotten pretty low on supplies today and I did not remember seeing that little yellow bait puck in there.

I got up and checked the fridge, no spikes. Then I thought "Oh crap did I forget them in my bibs?". Nothing there either. Then I checked my ice fishing bucket in the back room. Oh yeah, they were there.

Seems that the last time I fished I was busy enough cleaning fish that I forgot to take them out and put them in the fridge.  Well I am happy to say it was not near as disgusting as I thought it might be when I opened up the lid.  All the spikes had hatched nicely and seemed to be some nice healthy flies. I took a pic and released them into the wild. My wife failed to find the humor in this. :w00t: :o

Steve H.

Re: Don't forget about your spikes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2020, 02:43 PM »
That's what spikes turn into?  Sh!t flies?  Hate those things.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

seamonkey84

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2020, 03:05 PM »
And you wonder why no one in Maine sells them lol. I use wax worms that I get at petstores.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

fish wayniac

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2020, 03:24 PM »
Artie, That is funny!
I had a similar thing happen. I cleaned out my pack basket at the end of the season. The previous trip I used a large travel mug to transport a live shiner to a ice trap. Well let’s say after a week that shiner didn’t fair to well in that mug. It took 2 cycles through the dish washer to get rid of the smell. Lol! 🤮

seamonkey84

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2020, 03:46 PM »
Try soaking with lots of oxyclean or in vinegar next time lol.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

franklin fisher

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2020, 05:03 PM »
Artie, That is funny!
I had a similar thing happen. I cleaned out my pack basket at the end of the season. The previous trip I used a large travel mug to transport a live shiner to a ice trap. Well let’s say after a week that shiner didn’t fair to well in that mug. It took 2 cycles through the dish washer to get rid of the smell. Lol! 🤮

Oh I bet that was gross! Ha ha!

My buddy says this puts a whole new spin on fly fishing! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.