FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628654 times)

Bluegillonafly

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1860 on: Aug 05, 2014, 09:31 PM »
Rg....Watching the Blues Brothers singing "Rawhide" & "Stand By Your Man." :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #1861 on: Aug 06, 2014, 10:38 AM »
Where's Waldo ???

Trapper ties some really cool looking mice. He's much better at spinning deer hair than me. I struggle.

I'm working on a shad pattern that might work in my local waters. The other day some of the crappies I caught regurgitated whole shad. One about 3" actually swam away.

Anyone tie a good gizzard shad pattern they want to share?

Rg

Rg,

I've never tied any, but here's a couple from YouTube you might like...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usfRR-fwSQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL5cCEP1ARU

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1862 on: Aug 06, 2014, 12:17 PM »
when i get to a  computor i'll  post some  mice  and  frogs maybe  take some  pctures or a  video  on how to  do it  ...bass  love  mice as well as northern but......  the  true  trophies that like  mice and big hair  frogs are  big brown trout!  fish them  after dark  and you'll take a fish of a life time .....oh i caught  cohos  in the pool near snaggers in jan  too with them   ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #1863 on: Aug 06, 2014, 09:13 PM »
when i get to a  computor i'll  post some  mice  and  frogs maybe  take some  pctures or a  video  on how to  do it  ...bass  love  mice as well as northern but......  the  true  trophies that like  mice and big hair  frogs are  big brown trout!  fish them  after dark  and you'll take a fish of a life time .....oh i caught  cohos  in the pool near snaggers in jan  too with them   ;D

trapper,

Absolutely!... A friend of mine caught a 21" brown from a small stream near his home some years back that had a mouse in its stomach. Another friend of mine caught a big brown that had a big (about 7-8") spotted salamander in it's stomach!

WK

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #1864 on: Aug 06, 2014, 09:20 PM »
And I'll bet large foam poppers would take them at night as well. I've often wondered how difficult it might be fighting a large trout at night on a favorite stream when you can't see a d@mn thing around you...maybe a headlamp that can be turned on quickly would be a valuable asset!

WK

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #1865 on: Aug 07, 2014, 09:22 AM »
My grandfather used to swear by using a "crazy crawler" at night for big browns, and he had a lot of success with them.   

trapper2000

« Reply #1866 on: Aug 08, 2014, 03:34 PM »
heres a  few  i posted  before  

hair  mouse

tent  catapillers

heres a  couple  terrestrals  that  have   produced big  fish  for  me and  really  they  are  fun  tying  another  thing  sept  oct  are  yellow  jacket  months !

myemmy

« Reply #1867 on: Aug 08, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Did,nt weber make a deer hair mouse. .?.?

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #1868 on: Aug 09, 2014, 02:45 PM »
heres a  few  i posted  before  

tent  catapillers

heres a  couple  terrestrals  that  have   produced big  fish  for  me and  really  they  are  fun  tying  another  thing  sept  oct  are  yellow  jacket  months !

trapper,

It's interesting to hear that you've done well with tent caterpillars... I've thrown live ones out into a stream and watched them float for a long distance without anything ever touching them. Maybe the fish up your way don't get enough to eat and aren't fussy!  :D

WK

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #1869 on: Aug 10, 2014, 01:50 PM »
used  them  in  new  york   from  ADK's  to  Catskills  CT  and  PA  maybe  you need  to  find  water  with  more  fish  ;D
TO ME you are right,may be try a good fly and not the bug[there is a difference
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #1870 on: Aug 11, 2014, 01:47 PM »
TO ME you are right,may be try a good fly and not the bug[there is a difference
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

I never fished with them, what I said was I have thrown them in the water and not seen them taken. And yes there are fish where I fish...I fish NY more than I do PA for trout.

WK

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1871 on: Aug 17, 2014, 07:00 PM »
I've been working on the craft fur shad pattern. Not quite there yet. I tie a couple every day. It's fun turning an idea into a working fly.

When it's there, I'll post some pics.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #1872 on: Aug 17, 2014, 07:18 PM »
the  craft  fur  crawfish  are  awesome 

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #1873 on: Aug 18, 2014, 09:38 AM »
actually  what  you  said  was  you  guess  the  fish  up  my  way  didn't  get  enough  to  eat  and  weren't  fussy  ....  what  i  said  was    i  guess  you need  to  find  water  where  there   are  MORE  fish   ...i  even  said  i  fish   from  the  adk  tt  the  catskills   and  CT  and  PA ......  yer  barking  up  da  wrong  tree  son ...

on  the  lighter  side  i  been  noticing   a lot  of  big  ole  crickets!   so   foam  , black  deer  hair ,  and  some  creativity    guys!!!!! 

maybe  time  to   do a  few  egg patterens   for  those  darn  ole  salmon  thinks   too

trapper,

Sorry if it seemed as though I was doubting your INFINITE WISDOM. I didn't mean for you to get your depends bunched up, I was just trying to plug a little humor into the post about my personal observation of those skanky caterpillars. Definitely not meaning to "bark up da wrong tree!"  :D  :D

WK

trapper2000

« Reply #1874 on: Aug 19, 2014, 09:16 AM »
ok  i'm   playing  with   the  craft  fur  myself   doing  some  crawfish  patterns  for  late  season  bass  and   browns   ;D  i  looked  in  the  buckets  where  i  keep   all  the  fly  boxes  i'm  not  using  and  i  think i'm  set  for  salmon  and  steelhead  for  ohhhhh  next  75  years   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.