FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628682 times)

boondox

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #2355 on: Jul 07, 2015, 11:43 AM »
nice looking fly by the way ! I was wondering about the trailer hooks as you can see why lol's...  keep those good flies pic rolling in i enjoy them... 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2356 on: Jul 07, 2015, 04:44 PM »
Tied up some crappie flies this morning along with a couple of heavier weighted Martinis. Took one fly out to use and must have left the bag with the others on the deck. Blew out of the boat I guess. Back to the bench :-\

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2357 on: Jul 07, 2015, 06:02 PM »

Tied up some crappie flies

Rg

Don't be so hard on yourself Bob.

boondox

« Reply #2358 on: Jul 07, 2015, 11:28 PM »
Tied up some crappie flies this morning along with a couple of heavier weighted Martinis. Took one fly out to use and must have left the bag with the others on the deck. Blew out of the boat I guess. Back to the bench :-\

Rg

you need your self some film canisters or Altoids tins. on a side note i know the same feeling pull the Altoids tin out drop in the water there gone, and gone for ever happens to me all the time so don't feel bad..   

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2359 on: Jul 08, 2015, 11:59 AM »
Thanks for the tip Boon. These are smallmouth I'm after. They generally don't hesitate and just inhale the fly. But I keep some #16 treble hooks with me to add as a trailer when I need them. Tandems are legal in Ny as well.

Rg

Rg,

As long as you don't use streamers with tandem hooks in the Finger Lakes Tribs... of course you knew that!  ;)

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rp dog

« Reply #2360 on: Jul 08, 2015, 03:29 PM »

Rg
I tipped my hook box off my knee one time while changing hooks while ice fishing . Vexilar lit up like a Christmas tree and haven't done it sense. Probably thirty hooks at least but just went home that night and built some more.
Rp

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2361 on: Jul 08, 2015, 03:46 PM »
Rg,

As long as you don't use streamers with tandem hooks in the Finger Lakes Tribs... of course you knew that!  ;)

WK
I didn't know that WK. But, I don't fly fish the finger lakes tribs so I guess I got lucky. Thanks though.

I use to fish tandems trolling with the fly rod or lead core. Haven't done it in years.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2362 on: Jul 08, 2015, 03:48 PM »

Don't be so hard on yourself Bob.

Good news Mac! I have tons of time to tie up some more :rotflol:

I was thinking about you yesterday. I got off the water around 11 and I was wilted. Can't imagine what you, do on days like that.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #2363 on: Jul 08, 2015, 06:57 PM »
Good news Mac! I have tons of time to tie up some more :rotflol:

I was thinking about you yesterday. I got off the water around 11 and I was wilted. Can't imagine what you, do on days like that.

Rg

:cursing:

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #2364 on: Jul 08, 2015, 07:00 PM »
left my  cooler  in the  woods a bit  away  from my tent ... seems a  bear  decided  he  wanted    my  fish  hot  dogs  and  turkey burger  .....my  fly  boxes  were safe  with  me ...I  found the  cooler  the  lid  has  a lot of  funny  holes  all over  it  now  :rotflol:
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #2365 on: Jul 08, 2015, 07:33 PM »
I didn't know that WK. But, I don't fly fish the finger lakes tribs so I guess I got lucky. Thanks though.

I use to fish tandems trolling with the fly rod or lead core. Haven't done it in years.

Rg

Yea... the trib regs state "a single hook point, with a hook gap no greater than 1/2"...i.e. no trebles, tandems, etc...

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

boondox

« Reply #2366 on: Jul 08, 2015, 08:05 PM »
Yea... the trib regs state "a single hook point, with a hook gap no greater than 1/2"...i.e. no trebles, tandems, etc...

WK

funny thing is i find New York's regs more confusing then any one else's regs... make your head spin a tad at all the detail like how much backing you got to have on a fly reel how how much line  how much running line etc...etc.. kind of ridiculous if you ask me...  i like the basics like: just shut up and fish!!! looked like there was a tree huger or p.e.t.a. member in charge there for making the regs   lol's just to keep guys off the water ....   not saying cheating should be done like snaging ... why not just say if the dnr deems it snaging your in trouble much easier see ...lol's   kind of like our regulations here in Michigan are that way... no rule on fly line like lengths kind of open about stuff like that here  but just to much detailed stuff for fishing there to me  don't know about others i guess there just thankful there aloud to fish? 

KingPerch

« Reply #2367 on: Jul 08, 2015, 08:12 PM »
left my  cooler  in the  woods a bit  away  from my tent ... seems a  bear  decided  he  wanted    my  fish  hot  dogs  and  turkey burger  .....my  fly  boxes  were safe  with  me ...I  found the  cooler  the  lid  has  a lot of  funny  holes  all over  it  now  :rotflol:
:rotflol:
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2368 on: Jul 09, 2015, 02:33 AM »
I never did like bears Trapper! When I was hiking or camping anything edible went in the vehicle or was hung from a big tree limb. Always made me feel like dessert :-\

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2369 on: Jul 10, 2015, 05:13 PM »
OK, here's one of my favorites. "Bob's Bumble Weave"

Reader's Digest version.  ;D

#10 TMC 100
.020 round  lead
Red hen hackle
Black and yellow ultra chenille
Black Danville 140

Apply lead to 2\3 of hook shank and tie down towards the back of the hook.
Tie in a clump of red hen hackle fibers and snip for a tail.
Tie in strips of black and yellow chenille on top of the hook, side by side.
Tie off the thread and snip it off or its in the way.

Start the weave. Form an overhand knot placing the color for the top over the hook and the color for the bottom under the hook shank, thus.... This may take a couple tries to master, but believe me, it's easy.

Tighten the knot and repeat

Note the chenille positions........the color on top is always on top. The process is easy if you turn your vise towards you.

Continue the weave down the hook shank

Start your thread again at the eye and tie off the chenille. Form a small head and whip finish.

Start your thread about 1/3 back from the eye and add your rubber legs. Tie off and apply a drop of super glue to the wraps. Don't need much.

You can play with all kinds of colors. Believe me, it works.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.