FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628318 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #4230 on: Apr 26, 2023, 07:06 PM »
I’ve decided to sell my Dyna King Ultimate Indexer vise. I have my eye on a totally unreasonable fly vise. A vise that no one really needs. (But need has nothing to do with it)

If anyone is interested shoot me a PM.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #4231 on: Apr 27, 2023, 04:02 AM »
dynas are   great  vise ....... not cheap by any means
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4232 on: Apr 27, 2023, 05:00 AM »
Not cheap but it’s a tank. Very well machined and rock solid components. It’s got a very solid pedestal base. I have the standard and midge jaws for it. Don’t know how big a hook it’ll hold. I’d guess up to 6/0 and down to hooks I can’t even see any more.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4233 on: Apr 29, 2023, 02:16 PM »
A couple I’ve been playing with.
Pass Lake Special. It’s an old pattern I bumped into.

Just something that came up while I was tying.

I might have seen it before. Just came to mind. Tried a couple versions. This one’s the best so far.

It’s got some promise. Should float well.  Could  always use foam for the body.

Thought I’d share my first instruction in fly tying. The Orvis Fly Pattern Index….circa 1978.

First fly pattern in the book….

Note the second! Tells you something about flies that work.

Tons of great information and not one video. Think I might take the challenge and tie every fly in this book. What a collection that would make. I might almost be able to tie them at this point in my hobby. Kinda like cooking 365 days of Julia Childe.

[

icefisher47

« Reply #4234 on: Apr 29, 2023, 08:52 PM »
I’ve decided to sell my Dyna King Ultimate Indexer vise. I have my eye on a totally unreasonable fly vise. A vise that no one really needs. (But need has nothing to do with it)

If anyone is interested shoot me a PM.

Nice looking vise
Take a kid fishing

icefisher47

« Reply #4235 on: Apr 29, 2023, 08:53 PM »
Pass Lake Special. It’s an old pattern I bumped into.

Just something that came up while I was tying.

I might have seen it before. Just came to mind. Tried a couple versions. This one’s the best so far.

It’s got some promise. Should float well.  Could  always use foam for the body.

Thought I’d share my first instruction in fly tying. The Orvis Fly Pattern Index….circa 1978.

First fly pattern in the book….

Note the second! Tells you something about flies that work.

Tons of great information and not one video. Think I might take the challenge and tie every fly in this book. What a collection that would make. I might almost be able to tie them at this point in my hobby. Kinda like cooking 365 days of Julia Childe.

[

Sounds like a great challenge
Take a kid fishing

trapper2000

« Reply #4236 on: Apr 30, 2023, 05:41 PM »
RG gave  me  some of  his  leaders   to test  i put one on and  have  not  worn it  out  in a  few  years  ...everything  from bluegills to blue  fish and  it  still  has a few miles left ...it  took me a  little to get use to how it  rolls a  fly .... great leader   he should  market them  .....  the  added  color is  great  if your a  nymph  fisherman  which i am .......

oatkasut

« Reply #4237 on: May 01, 2023, 10:44 AM »
That Orvis book on fly tying is interesting. So is the out of print Orvis "Hatch Guide For New England Streams whch cost  $19.95  in 2000. Today on the internet it sells for $120! Great pocket guide but since is isn't around I found one to buy for $21.95 entitled" Pocketguide to New York Hatches" by Paul Weamer, in print and available from Stackpole Books. Another great guide to hatches with  times of hatches for the Catskills, Adirondacks and Western New York. with an index to fly patterns.Use it all the time. Anyone else have preferred hatch books?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4238 on: May 01, 2023, 02:48 PM »
RG gave  me  some of  his  leaders   to test  i put one on and  have  not  worn it  out  in a  few  years  ...everything  from bluegills to blue  fish and  it  still  has a few miles left ...it  took me a  little to get use to how it  rolls a  fly .... great leader   he should  market them  .....  the  added  color is  great  if your a  nymph  fisherman  which i am .......

Let me know when you’re ready for a replacement. Or two or three.
That’s the problem with marketing them. They just don’t wear out. Near 0 obsolescence.

geo315

• My favorite place.
« Reply #4239 on: May 02, 2023, 09:10 AM »
Has anyone ever tried a black momba streamer for brookies?  I saw a video on them and tied a few ( real ez ) .  Any one who used one let me know how they worked.  Thanks Geo.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4240 on: May 02, 2023, 12:11 PM »
Bigger than I normally tie. Looks like it would work in the right water.

trapper2000

« Reply #4241 on: May 02, 2023, 03:54 PM »
that looks like a  great  fly  to troll behind a  canoe on skaneateles lake  ......

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4242 on: May 02, 2023, 04:28 PM »

“International Daddy” and a small stimulator ( # 12)

Keeps the digits nimble.

trapper2000

« Reply #4243 on: May 02, 2023, 07:12 PM »
i need to take a  picture of  one   look up a  fran bitters  hay stack ....really  simple  patteren great on  trout and  gillsi have to  go to post office send  a  care package .....maybe i can find a few to throw in 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4244 on: May 03, 2023, 04:52 AM »
You mean these Rick?

Definitely a good fly to have in the box. McPhail does one in an emerger pattern with a split wing. Haven’t tried tying one yet but I like the look of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.