FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628567 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #4440 on: Mar 24, 2024, 11:25 AM »
Well Bart, I have the technology anyway. I hate struggling with something I can fix.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #4441 on: Mar 25, 2024, 05:46 AM »
I got asked what fly will be my got to fly .hands down the pheasant tails is one of my best patterns accounting for more trout and blue gills then any other flies also I fish it in the winter for steelies and tie a version on a jig hook for ice fishing....easy to tie and every fly box should have a assortment

you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

trapper2000

« Reply #4442 on: Mar 25, 2024, 05:48 AM »

I'm sorry hope this is easier to see

UofLcards

« Reply #4443 on: Mar 25, 2024, 12:13 PM »
I got asked what fly will be my got to fly .hands down the pheasant tails is one of my best patterns accounting for more trout and blue gills then any other flies also I fish it in the winter for steelies and tie a version on a jig hook for ice fishing....easy to tie and every fly box should have a assortment

Nice looking fly - I can see that working well.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4444 on: Mar 25, 2024, 12:47 PM »
What size you tie those in Rick?

Bit the bullet and ordered a Rite Bobbin today. Was struggling with some 70 d thread and my 25 year old bobbins. Enough is enough. Life is too short for junk fly tying tools.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

« Reply #4445 on: Mar 25, 2024, 02:49 PM »
16 to 12 ...and i tie alot of pheasant tails , i really believe  it is  one of the best fish taking fly ever ,i have to keep a better record but i think the bluegill fancy the flash back better then the orginal on brite sunny days i noticed that the last few years ... rite bobbins  are great  i think i got mine right around 30 bucks a piece well worth the price in lost frustration with broken threat at critical times...your going to wonder why you didn't buy one before ,although i carry my old ones  in my travel bag  in case i need to ty something stream side....

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4446 on: Mar 25, 2024, 04:03 PM »
Well ordered some hooks too. 16, 14 straight eye dry fly. Gotta love Fly Shack. Great vendor.

oatkasut

« Reply #4447 on: Mar 25, 2024, 04:45 PM »
the pheasant tail nymph is clearly my most used and best catching fly for stream browns and brookies in sizes 14 and 16 with and without a bead, gold! Trap, you sure have a winner there!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4448 on: Mar 25, 2024, 04:56 PM »
Spent an hour or so going back to the beginning of this thread. (Only made it 50 pages)
So many flies, …..so many people came and went…..so much good information and exchange.

Priceless.

trapper2000

« Reply #4449 on: Mar 25, 2024, 04:59 PM »
i like them   i like j.stochard in ct , i like all seasons in pulaski, and the trout fitter in syracuse...all good people to do business with,i like  going into  shops   you get to talk to the  owners  and  see things you wouldn't see buying on line,and custmers coming in are all fly fisherman you pick up some great info

trapper2000

« Reply #4450 on: Mar 25, 2024, 05:09 PM »
why thank you oat  i apperciate that . you meet so many people  fly fishing  some  come and go and others are lifers ....... i was hooked the  first time i tried fly fishing ....lake in fulton i bought a  cheap  bamboo  (thats right bamboo) rod from a place called the easy bargin center lol  someone gave me a  reel with line  i got some small poppers  and tossed them in tannery creek and  caught some white  perch and  blue gills .....after that i was  going to  salmon river  way before   they stocked salmon that was  one of the best trout streams i ever fished..... been a  few years ......... someday we should all get together   swap  stories  and  flies  ....your right RG life is to  short ....make  the most of it.....

62 & Done

« Reply #4451 on: Mar 26, 2024, 09:26 AM »
I would love to be part of that get together!  I don't have much to share but would love to hear all the stories. I'm sure that would be a great time.  We could set up little tables and all you fly guys could demonstrate some of you talent's. Wouldn't that be a hoot? This could be the start of something big. Let's see what should we call it....?

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4452 on: Mar 26, 2024, 02:00 PM »
“Old Farts Fly Tying”

lowaccord66

« Reply #4453 on: Mar 26, 2024, 03:16 PM »
I know I could use some flies without beads.  I swear trout eat the bead and nothing else.

trapper2000

« Reply #4454 on: Mar 27, 2024, 08:58 AM »
My boxes are filled with nymphs so I started tying a few extra dry files.one on my favorites is the dark cahill . Very easy fly .I been asked to list the materials.
Dry fly hook 10 to 20 I'm using a Daiichi 1180  size 14
Black thread
Tail dark ginger barbs
Body gray muskrat
Wing I used teal flank wood duck works great too
Hackle dark ginger

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.