FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anyone around Richmond area?  (Read 6087 times)

BBK

Anyone around Richmond area?
« on: Jun 24, 2009, 01:02 PM »
Heading up to the horseshoe chain in about a month and I'm looking for someone around the area to give me some advice on where the fish are biting at. I have a hard time catching walleye up there (with the exception of last year) and I would love some info on where/how they are biting. 

BBK

Re: Anyone around Richmond area?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2009, 04:48 PM »
Ended up being a horrible week. Got 5 walleye 5 northern and a couple of panfish. Oh yeah.. and 60-70 catfish. d**n catfish took over.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2009, 06:43 PM »
Yeah, you sure picked a crap week. The barometer has been super low and it has been one front after another. Weird weather this summer for sure!

Any size to those cats?

BBK

« Reply #3 on: Aug 03, 2009, 08:56 PM »
Had 3 that were over 5lbs. Caught all 3 on pumpkin tubes fishing for bass. The rest were all 10-12"... you know... the ones that make you think you have a nice walleye on every time you set the hook.

Good thing I talked to Scott Steil before I left. He gave me some good advise on how to catch them eyes.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2009, 09:35 PM »
He is a tournament angler from over that way, isn't he?

I have toyed with the idea of hitting the sauk flowage at night for cats, but I have never gotten around to it. I like to chase after the big ones, but you almost need to stay in the bigger rivers like the MN, Miss, St. Croix, and Kettle for them. I would love to make a trip up to Manitoba for those mega pigs in the red too.

BBK

« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2009, 10:06 AM »
Yes he is on the walleye FLW and he is from richmond.

If you want to catch catfish... go there. Doesnt matter what you throw, you will catch one.
I will list what I caught catfish on this year.
3"tube
2"tube
1"tube
Zara spook topwater
Buzzbait
Spinnerbait
Live bait rig with leech
Live bait rig with minnow
Crawler harness (cant troll 5 feet without catching one)
Bobber and minnow
Bobber and angleworm
Bobber and crawler
Bobber and waxworm
Bobber and ice jig with spike
And somehow I managed to catch them trolling Rapala Origional Floaters #11 behind a bottom bouncer.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2009, 05:46 PM »
Buzzbait? ::) Holy crud....

I will give it a try.... with more conventional tactics. ;D

They top out about 5lbs though, I hate to drive over the mighty Mississippi to go fish dinks. :-\

BBK

« Reply #7 on: Aug 04, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Buzzbait? ::) Holy crud....

I will give it a try.... with more conventional tactics. ;D

They top out about 5lbs though, I hate to drive over the mighty Mississippi to go fish dinks. :-\

There's probably some monsters in there.. Just the biggest ones we caught were around 5lbs.

They were also full of eggs and up around rock banks so they are getting ready to drop. Had some eggs on my hands after taking them off so some have already started. Put it this way.. there is enough cats in there that I bet a guy at the resort that I could catch one in 5 minutes off the dock. I threw a crawler out on the bottom and had one hooked in 1 minute 5 seconds.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 04, 2009, 09:26 PM »
The dnr dumped channel cats in there in the 80s, they thought they may do well in there. I guess they were right! :rotflol:

BBK

« Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2009, 09:52 PM »
Speaking of DNR.. Got checked up there last week. First time in years. He asked what we had, and at the time we had one walleye. He asked if we have been fishing all week and we told him yes. Then he said  "Mind if we take a ride over to your cabin and check the freezer"? We agreed and he followed me to the cabin. Jokes on him because all we had in the cabin was 2 crappie.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2009, 10:09 PM »
They saw the IA on the side of your boat and figured you were on a mass poaching mission from your home state. I would have asked the snot DNR officer if he understood what profiling was, and if your state of origin was the reason for the search. If you were over the limit, I could see it, but that is over the line. Freezer searches should be reserved for folks who get turned in, or caught on the water with way too many fish. >:(

BBK

« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2009, 08:30 AM »
I didn't mind. Wasn't like the fishing was too good to stop. At least now they know how bad the fishing was that week. 

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2009, 04:04 PM »
Pushy dnr pushes tourism to WI and the Dakotas.

If you are fine with it, good. I however have a soft spot in my heart for over zealous law enforcement. :-*

Remember, you are a citizen of the United States and a guest of MN. As a citizen, he works for you; as a guest you should be treated with hospitality.

If he had no cause to ask to search, he should have said good day to you and kept moving. :

brokenline

« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2009, 12:09 AM »
seems like the wardens always try to stick the least common poeple to screw up.. like out of staters and father and son going out for an afternoon of fishing or hunting.. i have beeen fishing almost eveeery day  for the passt month and a half..and have never seen a game warden..
still waiting on free willy

Crappie Catcher

« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2009, 01:35 PM »
seems like the wardens always try to stick the least common poeple to screw up.. like out of staters and father and son going out for an afternoon of fishing or hunting.. i have beeen fishing almost eveeery day  for the passt month and a half..and have never seen a game warden..
Well I don't think Game Wardens really announce their presence, or they wouldn't catch anyone.
If I'm not fishing, I'm hunting if I am not hunting, I'm trapping If I am not doing one of the above, I am wasting my time it is not a passion it is an obsession.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.