FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: December on the local  (Read 1306 times)

rivereddy

December on the local
« on: Dec 12, 2020, 08:52 AM »
Yesterday, I met an old friend at a launching ramp in a city park on the local. Each, provisioned with a thermos and socially distanced in our folding yard chairs, my bud, 85, and I, 69. spent a delightful if atypical,( 63 deg) couple of hours ranging on a wide range of topics. I only met this guy a few years back while we both did volunteer work for the IDNR, but we have both fished the same water for over 60 years. It made for an interesting chat. Owing to the day, there were a couple of boat anglers and several kayakers out. We departed and I returned home and worked around the house some.

At 4:oo I decided what the heck, grabbed an ultralight with a F/F already rigged and return to the river. The water temp was 50 deg and the visibility maybe 2 ft. I picked a deep hole out of the current and began assaying the fish population therein. A one hour trip yielded numerous dunks and about a half dozen bluegills - one a 9 inch dandy.  Of interest was the pattern.  I was using a casting bubble and a 1/32 oz home tied hair jig set to run at a depth of 3 feet.  The first 15 minutes was a wash, then I remembered I had a small bottle of crappie nibbles left over from who knows when.  I  opened the jar and was greeted with what I can only call "rotten fish smell".  I put one on the jig and after washing my hand in the river to remove the stench, tossed the loaded jig up against the same stump that had yielded nothing and promptly caught a fat bluegill.  The next half hour proved rather enjoyable as the "noogies" delivered.  All in all, a nice December afternoon.

Fish on,

rivereddy

Daybreak

Re: December on the local
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Fun day!  Great report.  Thanks
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

LundProv

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2020, 07:16 PM »
I hear you Rivereddy...  I fish the back yard with a small jigging rap in about 20' of water for gills/crappies.  If I just use the rap, I will catch/snag a few but if I hang one of those little stinky nuggets on one of the sections of the treble, my catch rate increases significantly.  I have also seen with the livescope that the fish hand around longer with these nuggets.  I have both the green and pink and color does not seem to matter.  They sure are stinky...

Teacherpreacher

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2020, 08:35 AM »
Enjoyed your writing Rivereddy!
 I goofed around the house yesterday and thought about taking the boat to Pine Lake but since I took batteries in the house a week ago, didn't feel like horsing them back to garage and putting them in boat. I think since I'll turn 82 on the 24th, my strength ain't what it once was!!! Seems like I think about fishing more then I actually do. Should have gone! I know exactly where those bluegills are feeding!
I tie up 1/32 oz and 1/64 oz jigs and use Chartruse Gulp. Gills like those stinky little things for sure.
Looking forward to this Virus being vaccinated out of here!!!!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.