FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake Havasu  (Read 2053 times)

RoeBoat

Lake Havasu
« on: Dec 18, 2020, 12:45 PM »
Anyone been?  Seems like a great place to go in the spring to catch a 2lb+ redear.  Not getting any younger and this seems like something I'd like to do.  Saw a picture of a 3.5lber the other day and it drove me nuts!

abishop

Re: Lake Havasu
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2020, 02:13 PM »
If I remember there was a pic I saw a few years back. 4# crappie.

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2020, 02:14 PM »
If I remember there was a pic I saw a few years back. 4# crappie. Wife wants to retire there abouts. She gets to pick this time as I picked last. She has been and says it is beautiful. Party town on water.

fishinator

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2020, 02:53 PM »
World record red ear came from there. Wife has relatives in the area. I hope to make the trip in the next couple years.

RoeBoat

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2020, 03:54 PM »
I assume 3lb+ has to be rare but I would be just fine catching a bunch that I had to use the net on and could easily lip like a bass.  That would be a good time and I've seen videos of guys doing it.  I would fly to somewhere warm for that.   Normally I'm not in favor of traveling to a warmer climate but I could make an exception for this.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2020, 06:43 PM »
I just completely remounted three redears out of Havasu. The biggest was 3 lbs. Apparently not many fish taxidermists in the area, and the guy who mounted and painted them did an horrendous job. OMG they were horrible! Scales missing galore too.

Anyway in case you didn't know Havasu has exotic snails which the redears feed on. The bluegills are huge too. It's a big reservoir so maybe hire a guide? (19,300)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2020, 08:09 PM »
I just completely remounted three redears out of Havasu. The biggest was 3 lbs. Apparently not many fish taxidermists in the area, and the guy who mounted and painted them did an horrendous job. OMG they were horrible! Scales missing galore too.

Anyway in case you didn't know Havasu has exotic snails which the redears feed on. The bluegills are huge too. It's a big reservoir so maybe hire a guide? (19,300)
That is this 19,300????

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2020, 11:22 PM »
That is this 19,300????

19,300 acres.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

RoeBoat

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2020, 09:16 AM »
I think it's always worth hiring a guide first day on big new water that you have no idea about.  Money well spent that could make or break a trip.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2020, 12:46 PM »
I think it's always worth hiring a guide first day on big new water that you have no idea about.  Money well spent that could make or break a trip.

Agreed especially if you have limited time out there.

RoeBoat

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2020, 06:59 PM »
I've never had unlimited time anywhere! :D

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2020, 07:24 AM »
I've never had unlimited time anywhere! :D

Tell me about it!

fishinator

« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2024, 10:01 AM »
I know this is an old thread but I'm finally doing it. Fly out Monday. Got a guide for a day and a pontoon/kayak for rest of trip. Hoping for a personal best.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2024, 12:29 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I'm finally doing it. Fly out Monday. Got a guide for a day and a pontoon/kayak for rest of trip. Hoping for a personal best.

Best of luck and don't be afraid to share pictures!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.