FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Big Lake perch  (Read 23215 times)

Spooled85

Re: Big Lake perch
« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2023, 07:39 PM »
If the weather holds i MIGHT try tomorrow if i do ill give a report

abishop

« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2023, 07:48 PM »
GOOD LUCK.

abishop

« Reply #17 on: Jul 23, 2023, 09:46 AM »
Heard there is a bunch of people out today looking. Hope someone finds some.

abishop

« Reply #18 on: Jul 23, 2023, 01:10 PM »
A guy who works for the dnr said that 51 to 57 fow. 56 being best The thermocline is 5 degrees cooler there.

abishop

« Reply #19 on: Jul 25, 2023, 01:15 PM »
THEY'RE HERE. Finally, guess they are everywhere. 35 fow. Go get ya sum.

abishop

« Reply #20 on: Jul 26, 2023, 08:16 AM »
Did anyone make it out yet? Please share, I am hoping to get out tomorrow if the north winds don't blow. Anyone else going?

Spooled85

« Reply #21 on: Jul 26, 2023, 08:36 AM »
Rummor has it thats a rumor. People on FB are saying that cheifs made the post for bussiness . I got absolutley nothing against cheifs ! But the reports ive seen dont add up and personly know guys who have been out and said fishing is horrbile. Hoping to try sunday for my self

abishop

« Reply #22 on: Jul 26, 2023, 09:04 AM »
You may be right. I am looking at the water temps. and 35 fow is TOO WARM for the likeness of perch. I just can't see this as being true also. Scratching my head, hoping someone has a reliable report soon. Was wanting to try tomorrow.  Now, wait till Friday. Maybe grasshopper.

Mac Attack

« Reply #23 on: Jul 26, 2023, 10:14 AM »
so go deeper

abishop

« Reply #24 on: Jul 26, 2023, 10:19 AM »
Where I fish, you would have to go out at least 3 miles out to get to that depth. Unless the winds are right, I wouldn't want to chance it. 20 to 30 south winds would possible have 3-foot waves that far out. Just wait and bide my time. It will happen when all the start are aligned. It has been a waiting game this year. More north winds than other years have caused the fish to stay deep. Western Chicago and Michigan have deeper waters a lot closer to shore. LOL

taxid

« Reply #25 on: Jul 26, 2023, 03:32 PM »
You may be right. I am looking at the water temps. and 35 fow is TOO WARM for the likeness of perch. I just can't see this as being true also. Scratching my head, hoping someone has a reliable report soon. Was wanting to try tomorrow.  Now, wait till Friday. Maybe grasshopper.

What is the temperature at 35 feet?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #26 on: Jul 26, 2023, 03:57 PM »
70.5   Saw 12 fish that were caught 22 to 30 fow in 2 hours today before it got rough. I would think they would be in water 68 to 65? Haven't made up my mind yet about tomorrow.

taxid

« Reply #27 on: Jul 26, 2023, 09:12 PM »
Over the years rearing fish including Yellow Perch I think food source is more important than temperature.  I had brown trout coming up in 85 degree surface water to feed and go back down in the trout pond a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately I've cranked the well back up and max temperature on the surface is in the upper 60's.

My yellow perch that I have grown to 3.26 pounds now, survive in my 9 feet deep maximum depth pond (average depth 7 feet) through the summer. If it really gets warm they slow down and sulk on the bottom but they survive. The stock originally comes from Lake Erie.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #28 on: Jul 26, 2023, 09:34 PM »
Over the years rearing fish including Yellow Perch I think food source is more important than temperature.  I had brown trout coming up in 85 degree surface water to feed and go back down in the trout pond a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately I've cranked the well back up and max temperature on the surface is in the upper 60's.

My yellow perch that I have grown to 3.26 pounds now, survive in my 9 feet deep maximum depth pond (average depth 7 feet) through the summer. If it really gets warm they slow down and sulk on the bottom but they survive. The stock originally comes from Lake Erie.

Boom!

When fishing for perch in Erie we always looked for the bait first.  In Erie its emerald shiners and rainbow smelt.  Perch will handle almost any water temp.
However, the smelt and emeralds don’t.
I kept both in my garage in a huge cattle trough and unless I kept the water chilled below 70 in the summer, they died.
And if I could get the water below 50 they thrived.

wallin

« Reply #29 on: Jul 26, 2023, 10:23 PM »
 :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Wallin

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.