FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pulled a 24 hour fishing bender and then went back today  (Read 2168 times)

Jigmup

Fished In Ohio about an hour from my house and caught some saugeye. Kid and I did some hard core casting but I managed about 2 hours sleep in the Bonneville early Sat. morning. The evening run wasn't much but the next day the day bite was on. Went back today and had a little luck for what short time I had to fish. Hey Shawn get your pics up on here as well.

Kinda out of focus but the eyes are a glowin'

Ready for the skillet

These are from today
Never tell a fish wher its supposed to be

hardysf

Re: Pulled a 24 hour fishing bender and then went back today
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2006, 01:09 AM »
looks like a 2 good days. Are those river fish? In Michigan we have seasons on Walleye, and I was looking for ideas on how to catch them this time of year. Specifically on Clear or Crooked Lakes, but any info would help. Thanks.

slimjim7461

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2006, 06:40 AM »
Good job Mark,Eries right around the corner,cant wait after that its on to Brookville for 7 months,been waiting on this for awhile,

Jimmy

Jigmup

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2006, 06:53 AM »
Hardy, I don't know a lot about Clear or Krooked but I would try to find some rocky or at least ruble shorelines that slowly taper to deep water. These will need to be on the east side or possibly north side of the lake. With the winds getting ready to be predominantly out of the South West, the walleyes will use these area for spawning. They need the waves working to oxygenate their eggs and like to drop them in rocky areas so that they fall in crevices and are protected. The wind also pushes bait fish into these areas. When it all adds up it works.

The fish that I caught are river fish, or kinda. The river at its widest was maybe 80ft. You might want to try below the Kalamazoo dam. It gets pretty hot there.

daffydone

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2006, 03:29 PM »
jigmup, would that be the maumee? I have been waiting for the run. My dad hasn't went fishing since I was little, and he wants to do some river fishing, so I thought I would take him there.

Jigmup

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2006, 03:59 PM »
Not the Maumee Daffy, but I heard they are catching them there as well. You might look below Alum Creek or CJ Brown.  ;)

YR bender

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2006, 07:48 AM »
Great job, Jigmup. Way to spank them while you can. What fun to be able to do what you and Shawn did. Makes me a little envious, but way to go.

hardysf

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2006, 09:30 AM »
thanks for the info. Is night after dark still the best time to fish for them? Or can you catch them during the day too? And do you get them with a jig and mr. Twister, or is a minnow and jig for effective?

thanks again

Jigmup

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2006, 10:07 AM »
Hardy almost all of my fish that I catch while wading my home lake come right at twilight. Thats during prespawn. I use jigheads with a hook down the throat and out the back. Sometimes when the fish are riding a little higher I will put a twister on and tip it with a minnow. This slows the fall of the bait considerably and keeps it in the strike zone longer. Remember to be stealthy. Lake wading is different than river wading. Sound spooks 'em. In rivers, day fishing can be good. My last batch of fish came mostly between 2:00 and 5:00 pm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.