FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: opening day hotspot  (Read 6905 times)

grumpymoe

Re: opening day hotspot
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2004, 07:08 PM »
well everyone.... lets give habanero bob a huge welcome!! (aka capsicum chili chisel chucker)  ;D ;D ;D don't anyone ask please!! has anyone heard of the tv show one last cast??? habanero is the sole title owner when it comes to softwater...last cast can mean several hours if permitted...welcome aboard...grump

Nightcrawler

« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2004, 04:33 PM »
As soon as ice is off, I'm really looking forward to "beer can" fishing
Welcome Habanero Bob, you've mentioned one of my favorite methods for fishing! Sit on shore, throw a party and wait for that wonderful sound! That is too much fun! We're going to try it with sturgeon this year, can't wait! 8) 8)

perch pounder

• Keep on poundin'
« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2004, 10:55 AM »
Hey Habanero Bob

I'm in the same boat,  I have never been to the lake but want to .

To get there you have two choises for portages . One is by the Crowduck lodge Jeep road . This is in the small bay on the north shore past the island (it is the one with the dock )  . The other portage is on the far  NE shore past all the islands and "castle rock " .This one is by far the shorter portage at about 400-500m . If you stop at the store on the north shore they can help with directions too.

You can camp on most of the islands in Crowduck but the NRO's like to be notified as to who is on the islands . You can call them at the office in Rennie .

I have heard that Black Bottom bay is great in spring for walleye and pike . Like I said I have not been to the lake so you could talk to the owner of the Crowduck lodge when you get there and ask for directions . Someone on this board may know where it is too?

For lures I would say bring an assortment of jigs and a few tubs of minnows each . Bring some good plastics too for when you run out of bait ;D
Crank baits would be a good choise too .

Hope this helps .
here  fishy , fishy , fishy.......

Ashnohgrimbatul

« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2004, 01:21 PM »
The add for Crowduck should read:  Crowduck, Great fishing for all the wrong reasons!

I went into Crowduck with my dad and brother last summer (day trip arranged through the lodge).  They came and picked us up from the boat launch on Big Whiteshell, ferried us across the Lake and drove us by truck to Crowduck Lake Lodge.  They had the boat running when we got there.  Gave us a map, and a few basic instructions and off we went.

The Lake is beautiful, clear water and crisp Canadian Shield.  I was very impressed.  The fishing was simply amazing in terms of numbers caught, definitely up there in my Top 10 for most fish caught in a day.  Although we sort of lost count, we estimated our catch at 150 walleye and 2 pike between the three of us.  Once we found the fish, the action was fast and furious.

Despite what seems like a flawless trip, I was left with a bad taste.  The fish of Crowduck Lake are definetly not healthy.  All of the fish we caught were between 19-23", but weighed more of what 15-17" walleye should weigh.  75% of the fish had really large heads, and very small bodies.  The other thing we noticed after heading up to Crowduck Falls (wich happened to be littered with dead walleye carcasses), were that the walleye would hit our lures in less than 5 feet of water with the motor running!  It appears these fish are starving.

I understand the history behind Crowduck, and realize that Conservation is using it as a test lake for the catch and release policy following intensive stocking efforts.  Just be aware that as a result of this policy, the walleye do look sickly.  A novice fisherman might not notice, but the experienced walleye fisherman definitely would.  For me personally, I would not go back unless something changes.

According to lodge operator (Bill Kalinsky),  our experience was the normal and not an exception (although the other day trip group that went in with us only caught 11 fish!).  If you want to go to catch a nuts load of walleye, go to Crowduck by all means.  But don't expect to catch any big fish (there don't seem to be many anymore), and be aware that the fish are unhealthy.

Sorry for the rant, but I just didn't like what I saw.

perch pounder

• Keep on poundin'
« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2004, 03:29 PM »
I have heard the same thing too about the skinny walleyes . I fell that they (government) should allow anglers to take a few for shore lunch . This would not even make a dent in the population if 3 people can catch 150 walleyes on an average day.

here  fishy , fishy , fishy.......

Ashnohgrimbatul

« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2004, 03:50 PM »
Yeah it makes you wonder....in a way I commend the government for sticking with there original intent to have a great Catch and Release walleye fishery but at the same time, I don't think starving the population is the way to maintain such a great fishery.

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #21 on: Apr 01, 2004, 07:36 PM »
To many walleyes in crowduck. This use to be such a trophy lake. I respect what the government has done but now it is time to change policy. Let the anglers keep some. These fish should not die of starvation. I hate to say this but a few years ago Lake of the Prairies had walleye that looked very similiar. The heavy netting which I do not approve of may of infact helped the fishery in a sense. the walleye I caught last. year were nice and fat. Crowduck may benefit with controlled netting for one year. I really hate saying that but what else can you do.  :( :(
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

Nightcrawler

« Reply #22 on: Apr 01, 2004, 07:40 PM »
I've had the exact same experience. By the way there's lots of big smallie's in there as well! But the walleye competition is out of control on "the lake of two birds", last time I was in there was 4 summers ago, and when we ran out of crawlers we used fat elastic bands and there was no difference.  I also haven't heard of too many trophy's coming out of there as of late. Every year the rumor comes out that angler's will be allowed to keep a couple of fish for shorelunch, yet it never happens. But I always thought that the lodge owner(s) had something to do with the fact that all fish had to be released. Surely they would get to have some input wouldn't they? They would know better than anyone in regards to average sizes and trophy's caught year to year as they are the only outfitter on the lake. Any thoughts? Is this a new post perhaps?

Ashnohgrimbatul

« Reply #23 on: Apr 01, 2004, 09:39 PM »
The sick thing is that i'm sure the lodge owner gets tons of business still...alot based on people who used to come when the fish were healthier, and also alot from novice fisherman.  In terms of a fish stock that is easily catchable, nothing is better than starving fish.  It wouldn't suprise me at all that if he would want the lake to remain Catch and Release.

Good idea, nightcrawler. I'm gonna make this a new topic.  Please continue the disscussion there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.