FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: deep frying in a pan  (Read 5361 times)

smokey

deep frying in a pan
« on: Mar 23, 2011, 08:27 PM »
I've got a few small bags of perch in the freezer. Not quite enough for a meal, but enough to go along with a bunch of other snacks on Sunday for nascar.

I want to deep fry the fillets, but I've got a problem. No deep fryer. Anyone else use a regular pan for this? Any tips?

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
Re: deep frying in a pan
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2011, 08:39 PM »
I've got a few small bags of perch in the freezer. Not quite enough for a meal, but enough to go along with a bunch of other snacks on Sunday for nascar.

I want to deep fry the fillets, but I've got a problem. No deep fryer. Anyone else use a regular pan for this? Any tips?
fish-egg and milk-bread crumbs and then in enough oil in the pan to fry

MILLERMANKT

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2011, 10:37 PM »
It will work just fine.

smokey

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2011, 11:30 AM »
So should I try to use a higher sided pan? Will there be too much splatter for a regular frying pan?

Rebelfisher

• Hook'em and Cook'em!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2011, 07:02 PM »
I use a 10" cast iron pan...nice and deep...its perfect.
    A Country Boy can Survive!

Coldfeet

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2011, 05:48 AM »
Just use about 1" oil if that. Fry one side maybe 2 min. Flip fish and fry another miniute. You don't need to deep fry. Even with deep frying you must check or flip fish. Just watch the heat. Make sure oils plenty hot to start but not so hot it doesnt cook fish but just burns breading. 350deg is a good temp to stay with.
Did you put the plug in the boat?

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2011, 06:44 AM »
So should I try to use a higher sided pan? Will there be too much splatter for a regular frying pan?
If you have a higher sided pan available it helps some, but not completely necessary. Peanut oil is one of the best for deep frying. You don't have to have the fish covered in oil either, just flip each piece when one side is browned to your liking. Use around medium heat, you want your oil approx. 350-375 degrees. The will be some spatter from it as it's almost unavoidable, but the results are well worth the mess! Bon appitit

filetandrelease

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2011, 07:40 AM »
Mrs. filet makes fish and chicken fingers all the time that way, it does cause some spatter but cleans right I think it is easier than getting out the deep fryer, and they do make a mesh cover for pans ,now im hungry ;)

TheDL

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2011, 03:06 PM »
take it from someone who started an oil fire recently  :o  :o - DO NOT USE A FRYING PAN! It IS possible - but pretty unsafe.  If that hot oil hits your burner - look out - have a lid and a fire extinguisher near by.

you are a million times safe with a high-sided pot - I use a big old stock pot.  Heat the oil to 350-375 degress - use a digital thermometer. Keep any trace of water away from the pot - dry it first, dry utentsils, and don't put wet food in the fat.   Coat with your choice of breading (flour + spices or beer batter-beer, flour, spices) and cook untill golden brown.  The temp of the oil needs to stay at 350-375 or you wil get greasy fish - so only put in a few pieces at a time and crank it up if it's cooling (it will, check it with therm.)

cool the pieces on a rack or paper bag and enjoy!  I'm waiting for my oil to heat up now :)
tight lines....

smokey

« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2011, 08:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I still haven't tried this yet. I don't enough in the freezer for the amount of people that we've had over for our Sunday Snack Day. So I'm either waiting for more fish or less people.

I already have the mesh cover to limit oil splashes. I think the hardest part for me will be keeping the temp around where it needs to be.

Ice Dawg

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 01:07 PM »
I either use an electric fry pan or high sided propane griddle. Either works well and I have been pan frying fish for over fifty years without starting any kind of fire on a stove burner. I love frying fish in an old Wok that I have also.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

the jigs up

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2011, 09:55 PM »
Get yourself a cast iron pan. You will not regret it.

I try to cook outside on the BBQ side burner. It takes a bit longer to get hot but it keeps the smell out of the house.

Beer batter works great if you have any handy :laugh:. I usually use Rocky Madison Fish Crisp Cajun Flavour. Some times I mix a little Butter and Herb Fish Crisp in with it to change up the flavour a bit.

Absolutely the best way to cook fish is on the open fire in a pit. Put down a grate or a couple of level rocks to support your pan and cook away. It just seems to taste better that way.

I love cooking and eating fish late at night as a midnight snack on the open fire. Doesn't get any better :-* This is where I mix in the BEER.
BORN TO FISH...FORCED TO WORK... TO PAY FOR FISHING...

Lake Raker

• SteveK
« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2011, 10:05 PM »
take it from someone who started an oil fire recently  :o  :o - DO NOT USE A FRYING PAN! It IS possible - but pretty unsafe.  If that hot oil hits your burner - look out - have a lid and a fire extinguisher near by.

you are a million times safe with a high-sided pot - I use a big old stock pot.  Heat the oil to 350-375 degress - use a digital thermometer. Keep any trace of water away from the pot - dry it first, dry utentsils, and don't put wet food in the fat.   Coat with your choice of breading (flour + spices or beer batter-beer, flour, spices) and cook untill golden brown.  The temp of the oil needs to stay at 350-375 or you wil get greasy fish - so only put in a few pieces at a time and crank it up if it's cooling (it will, check it with therm.)

cool the pieces on a rack or paper bag and enjoy!  I'm waiting for my oil to heat up now :)

I use this method as well with great results. I use a candy thermometer for the oil temp and cover loosely with a lid when ever possible to lessen the airborn oil. I also put a floor box fan in the kitchen window with a window open on the far side of the house to blow some grease out. I would also close off any rooms too. Doing it outside would be great if possible. I like to mix panko and regular bread crumbs, more crunch and still gives full coverage.

Pan frying also works good, but I use crisco for that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.